1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY waterfall scrubber

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by drthompson, Nov 14, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. drthompson

drthompson New Member

Built this as part of a mentor project for a local high school.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Turbo likes this.
  2. drthompson

drthompson New Member

Used 3/4" sch80 pipe. Tried to cut a hole with a router on a table, man does it chatter ;)
    Roughed up the screen with a holesaw (by hand)
    Lights are from china, 660nm red and 554nm blue in middle total 12w. Have 2 of them
    [​IMG]

Turbo likes this.
  3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Slot looks a little jagged, it will work, but the growth might be a bit uneven due to uneven flow. I use a router also but it's tricky, you really need to use a jig so that as you pass the router along it doesn't move or throw the pipe. I clamp between 2 pieces of doubled-up MDF, and one of them has a third piece to act as the guide. I use a plunge base which has a flat part on the plate so it works perfect to slide the router back and forth, even then every once in a while I "twist" the router and it goes out of alignment and I get a bump in the opening, that one gets tossed (about 1 in 20)

Now I see your 2nd post and it looks like you're already got growth started!

4. drthompson

drthompson New Member

You can see from above pic, I have it on an acrylic stand with no bottom. The stand just sits on the sump.

Lights currently run on opposite schedule for 10hours. System has been running for about a week