1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does ATS need air bubbles for the underwater stlye ATS?

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by nanomaster, Feb 15, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. I wanted to put a algae scrubber in the overflow area of my AIO tank. the Flow should be more than enough but i am confused if it requires air in order to function correctly.

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Generally if the growth substrate is underwater, you should have bubbles. I've seen it done both ways, without bubbles, the growth is markedly less

3. ok thank you.

Turbo likes this.
  4. One more question I already read people say 1 cube feed what is this referring too?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

It's a feeding-based guideline

Algae Scrubber Basics - Planning Your Algae Scrubber

6. is there a way you could point me in the right direction regarding led wattage. Just new to topic wouldnt know where to look.

7. Turbo

8. So here is what I have put together. I would like any input if it looks like I am doing it right or wrong please.

9. 20170217_231810.jpg 20170217_231802.jpg 20170215_133834.jpg

10. The scrubber is placed at a 45 degree angle in an all in one tank after the first chamber. So water much flow through here. The return pump is rated at 2000/hr. The light is a 7w fixture placed about 2 inches away. The screen size is about 10x5 inches. Any feedback would be great.

11. Turbo

So is that sort of cascading through the screen or is the water flow staying on top? Is there anything under the slanted area of the screen?

Looks good so far

12. It flow over as to how much not sure.

13. I need little clarification. In order for this to work to I need to feed 1 cube to the tank with or without the fish eating the food? I ask Cuz my tank is fairly new and have minimal livestock. I don't mine just need to be sure.

14. Sorry for so many questions but this concept is extremely new to me and most of the research I have read was with established tanks.

15. Turbo

You don't need to feed a tank just to grow algae. I would not. Growth will not be substantial until you have livestock that eat the food and convert it / break it down. Food can decompose in the tank via bacteria but this is not quite the same as waste provided by fish and clean-up crews, etc.

What you do is adjust the light cycle (photoperiod) so that you are only "on" a couple hours per day, or whatever you need to get a little growth going, or to keep what little growth that you do have alive in order for it to be ready to take off when you do stock the tank.

Over-lighting the screen with a long photoperiod with no feeding of the tank will result in a bare white screen.

16. So I finally got algae to grow on screen but it was more of a brown algae
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  17. Turbo

That's actually closer to green, from what I can see. Go easy on the cleaning (harvesting) leave plenty behind, don't scrub the screen clean or anything close to that.