1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acrylic External BeanAnimal Overflow Box

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by Turbo, Jan 27, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. gguertin

gguertin New Member Customer

These ended up not working :(

I am taking the external box off today and going back to the Glass Holes design. Unfortunately the height difference between the teeth internally and the height of the box externally creates a waterfall affect instead of the intended bean animal design :(

I have raised the height as high as I can on the external box but still cannot submerse the bulkheads with water causing a large splashing sound inside the internal Glass Holes box because the water level ends up so low... I think the only way this would have worked is to make the box as tall as the trim of the tank and shim the difference of the trim the rest of the way down the box.

2. gguertin

here is a video of it in action
    [​IMG]

3. gguertin

I added the Glass Holes baffle and a thing of mesh to the internal box which seems to have quieted that side down but I still think the external side is louder then intended... Here is a better video with audio on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I just saw this post - been moving a tank all day and just sat down. I'll call you about this as soon as I can - my voice is gone right now (ask Don)

5. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

Bud sounded pretty bad lol. (Ok not funny). By the end he could only push out about half of the letters of his words.
    We tried many different deflectors in both boxes. It would make one side better but not the other. The flow coming through the 2 1/2" bulkheads is just to violent.
    It's of my opinion that the bulkheads need to be totally submersed. Is there a way to cut out the side with the holes and just make the changes there?
    Mine is going on a different tank (120g ) so now I would like the holes a little higher. I can get you the height... Could it be more like this? Maybe with a 1/4" glued to the lower section.

[​IMG]

Sent from my mobile

Don

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

You mean holes lower, right?

Yeah my plan is to cover up the original holes, skin the other side of the tank with 1/4" plex up to within 2" of the top to create the offset you show in your pic, then put holes on that side lower, so that the box sits up higher on the tank.

7. sabbath

Ok sounds good. The 2 tanks might be the same not sure. But I just measured the current holes from the top down on my 120g. So from the "Top" of the trim on the DT to the "Center" of the GH bulkheads is 4 3/8".
    [​IMG]

Sent from my mobile

Don

8. gguertin

I just mailed mine off you will get it tmw.

If you need any dimensions from me let me know but mine needs to be the same as the other holes offset by the 2" trim of a 180g tank.

9. gguertin

I have a loud calcium reactor and the scrubber makes a little noise but the rest of the tank is very quiet now :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  10. Turbo

Awesome. Lesson learned, for me!!

11. sabbath

Very cool!

12. Turbo

Since making these I have realized that you cannot have the pass-thru hole up high, at all. It needs to be as low as possible. I've made a few of these since this thread with the pass-thru at the bottom of the box and it works like a charm. Unfortunately this means that for tanks that are already drilled, it's a bit more difficult. Not impossible, but the overflow box needs to be up to the top of the rim, meaning it has to stand off of the tank in order for the water to pass through without creating noise, turbulence, or overflowing.