1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeding guidelines slashed?

Discussion in 'Basic Principles' started by Garf, Oct 27, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Don't know if anyone has noticed but SM has snook in a massive feeding guideline slash, from 1 cube = 3cc frozen, to 1cc. Ie if you've sized your screen to guidelines it's only 1/3rd as big as it needs to be. Go to (0063) in this link, you can ignore the rest;
    http://www.algaescrubber.net/SantaMo...endage-PCT.pdf

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yep, I think Allen Repashy on here had a good amount of info on why the cube rating system was flawed

3. I think it has to do with his new product lines. I have found that for UAS you need more area and more water flow [more air provided] than what the guidelines actually suggest. It also is apparent that the upflow scrubber concept does not seem to work as well as a waterfall type systems with more than 25 or so gal.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Obi-Wan has trained you well

LOL

5. Turbo

Sorry I couldn't resist!

Yes it's becoming more and more obvious that whenever something doesn't work quite right, he changes the 'rules'.

As I contended to him on his site, the plastic canvas is the ideal material for a waterfall scrubber and the cube sizing applies effectively.

For the UAS, plastic canvas did not appear to work as well, and appeared to be undersized. But that may have been due to no testing being performed, only assumptions made

With this 'appendages' stuff, it's clear to me that an appendage waterfall scrubber would be just as if not more difficult to clean with a 'comb' than it would to scrape a canvas screen. So I think he put that in there just to cover all bases, with no intention of actually making that type.

Once again, I'm darn near positive that he hasn't tested any if this beyond his SURF boxes. It just sounds good on paper

He has made mention of submersible LEDs which ties in to this patent.

6. Turbo

7. Turbo

8. Garf

Only a massive Pratt would ban you Floyd. Welcome to the "banned" :)

[​IMG]

9. I am glad I ran into this thread today. Looks like I had my sizing all wrong for my UAS in my current setup.

I'm going to do some more research and make some changes.

Thanks,

Rick

10. Turbo

I always thought the feeding guideline was relative, but this is the first time he has admitted a difference in recommendation since he came out with it. I consider a published patent to be admission.

11. Garf

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  12. Turbo

Yeah I'm guessing it was written before he changed the guideline. I'll have to look again when I'm home