1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally got scrubber up and running

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by Megatron1968, Mar 17, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Megatron1968

Megatron1968 Member Customer

finally got scrubber up and running after all this time, had a bit of disaster just after Christmas but all back up and running. So will be asking for advice of you guys.i set it up on Sunday from a clean screen. Just want to know how you send a video with post as want to ask it I have enough flow over the screen

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

In the toolbar at the top of the quick-reply editor window at the bottom of the thread is an icon that looks like a piece of film. Click it and you get a pop-up. Upload your video to one of the sites listed (youtube, vimeo, etc) and then paste the link. I don't allow video uploads as these take up tons of server space, and servers in general choke on anything over 2MB on an upload (which is why nearly every forum doesn't allow video uploading)

3. Megatron1968

THIS IS THE FLOW I HAVE ON MY SCUBBER AT THE MIN DOES THIS LOOK OK

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

It's a little hard to tell in that video, can you take one that is further back a bit and more straight on, so I can also see the water flowing around the false bottom?

What pump are you using and how much vertical head is there between the sump water level and the slot pipe level?

5. Turbo

Your vids are all "private" I can't watch them

6. Megatron1968

Sorry will send again

7. Turbo

You don't need to upload them again, just go into your video manager and change them from private to public

...too late...

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  8. Megatron1968

scrubber

9. Megatron1968

false bottom

10. Megatron1968

my pump is a eheim 3000 which is dialed back to half that. so is really 1500LPH I have also dialed back my control valve..my pipe is 19 inch from my pump to the inlet of the scrubber

11. Turbo

If the pump has a built in control valve, then I wouldn't use the other one. Or vise versa...just use one. The flow looks a little low but that's ok right now I think. You don't need/want a ton of flow when the screen is maturing.

I also notice that the "arcing" of the flow has already stopped. That usually doesn't take long.

12. Megatron1968

How long do you think it will take for the screen to change colour

13. Turbo

It will progress slowly over the next couple weeks

14. Megatron1968

OK thats

15. Megatron1968

I have put the leds on a timer for 9 hours is that a good start

16. Turbo

That's where you want to start, and leave it there until the screen gets mature. Then start extending the daily photoperiod by maybe an hour every 14 days or so and monitor scrubber growth and tank conditions until you reach a good set point. If you get to 18-20 hours/day and that's still not enough, then you can start moving jumpers to increase the LED intensity and back down the hours and then start the "increase the photoperiod" cycle again (i.e. low intensity + long photoperiod = high intensity + shorter photoperiod).

FWIW I run an L4 on a 200g at 12 hours/day on the default (low) intensity and it does a very good job of keeping N and P near zero with big tangs in the tank. Tank also runs a skimmer and sock, plus some carbon (but not changed often)

17. Megatron1968

I have been feeding my tank 1 cube a day at the min as I only have 2 clowns, 1 fire goby, and a royal gamma, 1 cleaner shrimp.....it is a 2ft cube tank so holds 250 litres,,50 gallon. Do you think that is ok. My nitrate is at 2 ppm... And phosphate about 0.6 ppm

18. Turbo

N will come down fast, P at 0.6 is pretty high, that might take longer to come down. You will likely be able to leave the photoperiod at 9 hrs/day for a while. You might look into a Potassium (K) test kit and some dosing product like Brightwell Potassion-K if that is low. I've learned a few things about K dosing and it's relation to a scrubber's capability to uptake N and P, basically you can't overdose K

19. Megatron1968

When I said my phosphate is 0.6 i ment 0.06ppm. As I use the hanna checker phosphorus ULR it came out at 18ppb do you think I should keep feeding 1 cube a day

20. Turbo

Yeah I wondered about that :eek:

I would not change anything until you get a mature screen and the system adjusts to the scrubber. There is no reason to feed more just to support the scrubber or encourage growth. Growth happens according to the needs of the tank