1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally got scrubber up and running

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by Megatron1968, Mar 17, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Megatron1968

Megatron1968 Member Customer

Hi bud just a quick one my scrubber has been set up now for 10 days and I have a little bit of brown on the screen but only on the outsides should I just leave it or adjust anything.

IMG_20150325_203126.jpg Scrapbook_1427315434138.png

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

It's not too bad, but since you're only feeding 1 cube/day I would go to this schedule:

4 on
    1 off
    4 on
    15 off

3. Megatron1968

Ok will try that will the center of the screen fill up on its own

4. Megatron1968

Hi bud just want to show you my screen after 13 days. put my leds on the cycle you told me to and have turned the screen around and turned the flow up slightly.should I just leave it be. if so how long
    2015-03-28 14.21.11.jpg 2015-03-28 14.33.40.jpg

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

The center is filling in nicely, but I would leave it at the schedule you have now for another cycle

6. Megatron1968

Should I leave it another week or so

7. Turbo

I would give it a light rinse and rub with your fingertips. You will probably not get very much algae releasing from the screen, but you want to break loose any poorly attached growth

8. Megatron1968

OK will do

9. Megatron1968

Hi bud I an starting to get a little green on the screen now. Should a adjust anything.my lights are on for 5 hours then off for 1 hour then back on again for 4 hours

2015-04-05 15.20.12.jpg
    2015-04-05 15.27.11.jpg
    2015-04-05 15.26.40.jpg
    2015-04-05 15.22.09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  10. Turbo

You could go to solid 9 hrs now that the center has filled in. You're looking about right for the 2-3 week point. You're starting to get some green so that's good. I would expect more growth over the next few weeks, every system is different.

You can probably rinse it and run lightly, not much should come off though. And that's ok.

11. Megatron1968

OK thanks

12. Turbo

Alsoif you want to get someone's attention (if they are not on the thread, for instance) you can tag users in a post and they will get an alert like this @Garf

13. Megatron1968

Hi bud I am up to this stage now with screen. just don't know what to do now, do I just leave it

2015-04-13 11.34.08.jpg
    2015-04-13 11.33.17.jpg
    2015-04-13 11.31.08.jpg
    2015-04-13 11.32.30.jpg

14. Turbo

Just scanned through the thread, here's a progression sequence

Day 1ish

Day 10
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 13
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 21
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 28ish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You are on the right track, at this point you can probably give the screen a rub w/fingertips and rinse under tap water, nothing too aggressive.

After that, increase the flow a bit. I think after looking at the first vid again that your flow seemed a bit on the low side but that was OK because flow isn't a huge factor in the maturing stage. I would leave light hours at 9 still

How is your tank? Any changes? Any algae problems? Nitrate & Phosphate readings?

15. Megatron1968

Have just tested my water and my nitrate has dropped to 0.5 from 1.5 which is good and phosphate has dropped to 0ppb from 8ppb in 16 days very happy.... When I rinse it under tap water should I leave them clumps of algae on the screen or take them of please

16. Turbo

Yes, you can pick at the large clumps to thin them out a bit, or scrape them off with fingernails. There might be some firmly attached growth, you can leave that (survival of the fittest)

17. Megatron1968

I bud can I please ask what is happening to my screen. As it as gone slimey with like bubbles in it. It has been 10 days since I gently cleaned the screen and got some of the clumps of.. the lights are still only set to 9 hours a day don't know if it go's like this

Attached Files:

18. Turbo

The bubbles are typically a result of oxygen production from photosynthesis, nothing to worry about.

The darker reddish patches could be the start of actual 'turf' algae, which is not bad, but generally GHA grows faster so that's what you want.

The center area of the screen looks like it's filling in better with GHA, it looks more even, so that's good.

I scanned the thread and I didn't see how much you are feeding, but 50g tank with a few small fish, so I'm guessing you're not feeding any more than 1 cube of food per day, does that sound about right?

Also, you last mentioned that your N and P were very low, so the scrubber is doing the job keeping those in check, and that is the purpose. Getting algae to grow thick and lush is not necessarily required for it to be doing the job - this is all dependent on the tank. The growth I get, and that you see a few others getting on here, is in tanks that are stocked/fed a little more heavily. So don't get too hung up on the type and amount of growth you are getting as long as the scrubber is keeping nutrients and tank algae in check. The fact is that scrubbers will grow algae in direct correlation to the tank conditions: amount fed, condition of water/rocks, and livestock type/load.

It would be OK to take a toothbrush or even the grout brush to the reddish growth areas along the edges of the screen, don't scrub really hard, but just enough to clean that area off. Then leave the center/green areas pretty much alone, maybe a swipe or two with the toothbrush and a quick rinse. You don't really need to scrape the screen when you can still see the underlying screen pattern under the GHA growth, because it's not thick enough to prevent light from penetrating.

If I made any incorrect assumptions here, please let me know

19. Megatron1968

Yes bud I am only feeding 1 cube a day, I have also started to get a bit of diatoms on my sand do you think this will go in time as the scrubber settles down, I haven't done a water change for at least 6 weeks just been adding alk, cal, mag when needed do you think I should add anything else to the water that may be lacking. And should I stick to 1 cube a day or drop it to half as I only have 2 clowns. 1 fire goby. And a royal gammer

20. Turbo

As long as you follow the old standby rule of feeding what they can eat in X minutes (was that 3 or 5?) then you're fine. Any additional food will decompose, get eaten by cleanup crew, etc, but may contribute to the diatoms.

If you haven't ran a scrubber on the tank before, then the system will go through a phase where things will change slightly. What these 'things' are, we really don't know, but probably something that changes the 'set point' of the system, and there are likely some chemical changes that occur a bit at a time. Like most things in the aquarium hobby, anecdotal evidence is all we have. Anytime to change something, be that a maintenance habit or adding or removing a piece of equipment, you change the 'set point'. What I've noticed based on my experience and some feedback is that occasionally making a change can cause some unintended effects, but they are usually temporary.

The #1 rule that you should generally follow is to only make one change at a time. So if you stopped making water changes after you added the scrubber, that's 2 changes. Then, you started dosing Alk, Cal, and Mag to make up for what you were doing with the now absent water changes - that's 3 changes. Or 5, depending on how you look at it. Now don't go doubling up on a water change to make up for it, but I would ease back into the water changes with one that is maybe 50% of what you were doing, then the next time do the normal water change. Or do 50% and dose less, but whatever you do, keep it consistent until the scrubber shows that it's producing regularly (that is, whatever it is producing, it is consistent) and your tank shows signs of stability - no algae outbreaks, nothing out of the ordinary, etc. Then, you can ease back on water changes that you were doing for the purposes of nutrient reduction.

But I would keep up on 10% every other week at a minimum, as this can relieve a lot of issues caused by chemical changes or chemical warfare. I had the opportunity to listen to Bob Fenner at our last fest and after hearing what he had to say about chemical interactions, I support maintaining some level of regular water changes. That is, unless you never want to add anything new to your tank...everything in it will generally 'get used to' the soup they are in.