1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General feedback on first diy scrubber

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by JonG101, Dec 22, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. [​IMG][​IMG]

Hi everyone, just figured I would post this and see if I could get some feedback. Been lurking here for about 3 months, and want to start by saying thank you for all the info. I just set up my new nano system which will be predominantly sps and decided to go with a ats rather than my original plans of doing zeovit. It seems like a more natural way of accomplishing low nutrients without the need for constant dosing which appeals to me for obvious reasons. The tank is a 20x20x10.5 with dual 1" overflow, the scrubber is being fed by a manifold I have off my return. I will also be running a tunze doc 9011 after the scrubber has established itself. Please let me know what your feedback would be for my plans/execution so far. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Just a few questions, is your ATS being lit from both sides? Also, it seems to me that you have a fairly large screen for such a small volume of water. What were your calculations that you choose that size of screen?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. Based on the guideline from ats basics I made the screen that size because I'm only lighting from one side

4. Anything I should change?

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I can see water beading up on the rim of the tank in the pics - I would make a water-creep blocker, take about 2" of airline tubing and snake a zip tie through it, then cinch that down with the hose on the bottom. That will block the water.

Other than that, sorry...just noticed this post, holiday weekend spent doing other things, will have to look again tomorrow!

6. Thanks that's a good suggestion, highly appreciate the help.

7. [​IMG]
    First time cleaning. Figured I would post an update, this is after about two weeks.

8. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Pretty decent growth!

Rinse under room-temp tap water, run with fingertips gently. That should loosen some of the GHA but not all of it. If there are any particularly dense clods, pick at them a bit to thin them out. You want to leave at least 25% of the growth alone, if you can. More than 25% is OK too