1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

going to build a better scrubber for myself!

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by scott, Nov 1, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. scott

scott Member

Hi all, I am new to this site but I have been on the SM site for a long time. I have a 45 gallon cube mixed reef with a basement sump. When I first got into scrubbing years back ,it was the best thing that ever happened to my tank, back then my scrubber was built to the old guidelines and was a full 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of plastic canvas lit by one 23 watt CFL on each side. That old school set up never grew much algae but it did manage to remove every speck of algae in my display and keep my water crystal clear! A while back I made the switch to a open air "new guideline" scrubber with LED PAR bulbs, my new El-cheapO scrubber just does not seem to work properly no matter how I tweak it :( So I have decided to build a new scrubber the right way.
    This new scrubber will have an acrylic enclosure,philips rebel 660 led's,ans a super rough screen! I have some questions so I can get this one right, I don"t want to have to fiddle with this and fiddle with that later in the game. so please help me out,thanks!

here are a few things I could use help with:

1. how many led stars per square inch of screen has worked best?
    2. what flow rate per horz. inch has worked best?
    3. should I design my box so some of the screen is under the water?
    4. do you prefer to use the overflow or a pump to feed your scrubber?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Welcome to the site!

I design mine with one deep red for every 2"x2" of area (4 sq in), on each side. So a 4x6 screen has 6 on each side. you could go less though, about half of that would be the minimum I would do. Distance takes a little playing with also, I do 2" and then run them at 1/2 power or use a diffuser until the screen is mature, then go to full intensity, seems to work well.

Flow rate has always been ideally around 35 GPH/in of width. You can go lower, I've done it on my first scrubber and it worked very well, and I have also run subsequent scrubbers at lower rates, but I think the effectiveness is all inter-related. If you increase the flow, you can increase the photo period and intensity and get better growth and filtration. There is an upper limit to flow, generally anything over about 50 GPH/in of width is getting to the point of diminishing returns.

You can partially submerge the screen, it will still grow but with the waterfall portion right above it, it will take longer to 'get going' and then it may fill in nicely. If you mean make a huge area that is submerged, that depends on your setup. you have to be able to get light to that area that is submerged in order for it to work.

As far as pump vs overflow, I prefer pump because it's safer (no risk of a clog overflowing the tank) but overflow is ideal because the scrubber gets the first crack and the water. The issue is making sure that there is a secondary path for water to take if there is a clog so that your tank doesn't overflow. Adding a pump means adding heat, power, and space. So it's about choices really.

Hope that helps!

Bud

3. scott

scott Member

That helps a lot! thanks! I ordered 8 of the phillips 660's and 2 of the phillips cool white leds. I was thinking of a screen about 6" x 6" . my over flow gives about 280 gph. I was thinking an acrylic box maybe 8"x8"x3.5"?? sounds like I may need more light??

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Well the cool whites are not useful for scrubbers. You want royal blues if anything, and then you need to knock them down in intensity.

At most you only need one RB for every 6 DRs

5. scott

scott Member

I have had bad luck with royal blues in the past,that's why I chose the cool whites,I am a big fan of "extra spectrum" but if they will hurt I will return them. If they won't hurt anything I will just go with em. My thinking is that the display algae grows just fine under cool whitss and jus maybe there is a "type" of algae that perfers the cool white,so why not give that algae a home in my scrubber? Let me know!

6. Turbo

What was your bad experience with RBs in the past?

I understand your logic, but it won't work that way on the scrubber. The CWs have a much higher radiandt flux output per watt when compared to DRs. My first L2 had 6 DRs with 1 RB right in the middle. Everyone's screen was bare white in the middle. In fact I still run one scrubber that grows crazy amounts of algae every week but when I clean the screen, underneath the 1" thick mat of algae there is a bare white 1.5" diameter circle right in the middle. This is the primary factor, also that CWs do not give you very much if any useful spectrum for algae growth. If you were going to use any white, it would be WW 2700K. And ever with those (or any WW, NW, CW, RB) you are going to have to knock down the intensity relative to the DRs.

The DRs usually have a max current of 700mA. Run any LED that is inside of the Deep Violet or Deep red at half of this current, max. You can this by wiring 2 of them in parallel within the series string. This is what I do:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This above wiring technique splits the current evenly (depends on how well the pair is matched, but it seems to work well).

Alternatively you can use 1W RBs but I haven't actually tried that.

Reducing the current (or putting a diffuser in front of the array with a piece of black electrical tape directly over the non-DR LEDs) will result in the screen filling in very nicely.

7. scott

scott Member

I have had a few par lamps that contained RB and they just cooked the algae no matter how much I difuesd the RB emmiters.
    I now know that the par lamps are to tight but I feel the RB portion is the worst part about them.You may know me as greenmachine from SM's site.lol
    I now think that the red led's in the cheap china par lamps are not even 660nm but something else. This is why when I run them at full blast they grow algae around the edges with a big burn in the center and when I diffuse I get next to no growth. Either way my display is getting ugly!

8. Turbo

Ah!! Welcome! Want me to change you over to greenmachine on here?

9. scott

scott Member

You can if you like. So above,wear you saying I can use the cool whites at half power if I want? Or are the cool white a bad idea period? I hope I have what it takes to make a nice acrylic box,I have a nice dewalt tablesaw ,but as I am sure you know electricians make bad carpenters! Lol. I was going to get 1/4" sheets at homedepot and a fine 10" blade,and weldon#16

10. Turbo

I would bother using CWs at all. Just half power RBs. The Chinese fixtures could have had multiple issues so don't let that steer you wrong

HD acrylic is too extruded which is fine, just don't get lexan or another polycarbonate

You can weld rough cut OK and just keep gooping on the WO. Use a standard (cheap) blade though, unless you want to pop for the triple-chip plastics blade (Diablo brand at HD). A 'fine tooth' or high-tooth-count blade will tend to melt more than cut.

11. scott

scott Member

What are your thoughts on screen size? I never had a problem with my old 8x11 giant screen. It still bothers me how my old screen lit by 2 cheap cfls grew a very thin mat of slimy green algae but kept my display 100% algae free

12. Turbo

Base it on feeding and double it at most. I just had a local customer in today so I could mod his L2 for threaded drains and he used to run a DIY SM100 on his 90, he said the L2 outperforms it easily if that tells you anything. His 90 is heavily stocked and fed and he was blasting the water through the L2 using a Rio 3100, probably flowing over 600 GPH. He said in 7 days his box was full and both drains going 100% and box filled to within 1/2 cm of the cutouts so he wanted to upgrade to the Rev 3 drains.

You can get a lot out of a small screen if you do it right.

13. scott

scott Member

Wow! How big is that screen? And how many cubes was that handeling? Maybe my 6x6 idea would be good then?

14. Turbo

L2 is 4x6, u bet he's feeding at least 2 cubes/day, but I'll ask

15. scott

scott Member

hey bud, I was thinking, do I even need an acrylic box? Why not let my screen stay where it is and just build two nice led lights and a false bottom for my sump where the algae grows from light spill-off???

16. Turbo

That's fine also, there's more than one way to kill a cat! The box/enclosure would be to prevent water spray and protect the lights, and a bottom plate would help keep algae where you want it and block light. You can always drape the screen in saran wrap to take care of the first 2 items.

17. scott

scott Member

Ok so I made two heatsinks out of "c" channel and mounted my 4 deep reds and one cool white to each. (I will switch the cw for rb when the come in) . The units are 6x6 and are 3" away from my 5x5 screen. Does this sound good or do I need to make adjustments? Thanks for all the help,I know I am a pain lol

18. Turbo

Sounds good, but a pic would help me confirm for sure

19. scott

scott Member

do you think 5 led's on each side is enough? I only ask because I keep reading something about one 3 watt led for every 4 square inches...........

20. Turbo

High light level would be one DR on each side of every 2x2 section (4 sq in)
    Normal/minimal would be half that (one on each side of every 8 sq in)

So your 5x5 screen - 25 sq in / 4 = 6 LEDs per side, or 3 per side for normal light. So you're right in the middle, should be fine.