1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Growing algae through the screen.

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Nov 23, 2012.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

If it basically peels off, instead of having to slice it off, then I'll know I've gone a bit too long. Strange you should bring this up actually- I've been having wierd ideas that suggest to me that at about day 9 or 10 of algae growth, growth is that fast that the decay (death) of previous growth would never be able to exceed the rate of growth, and in fact the differential of death to growth would expand. Got strange ideas of putting the harvested algae into a photo bioreactor with bubbles and seeing what happens !!!

2. crashmushroom

crashmushroom Member Customer

Sounds cool. Mines only a few mm so far but I'm going to try the cleaning one side like your trying.

3. Garf

[​IMG]

4. crashmushroom

I meant to ask u garf what cleanup crew do u have. Going to dublin 2.5 hours away to a massive lfs want to get my tank as clean as urs :)

5. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

I think that I will try this too. Looks like a good stable way of cleaning our screens. If I understand this right. With this there is two different growth levels going on at all times. Should help keep the nutrients lower over all. I'm going to try cleaning one side every 7 days unless some one thinks otherwise for a 7th week old screen.

6. Garf

Embarrassed to say 3 or 4 turbos, 2 blue legged hermits, 1 black brittle star and hundreds of these;
    [​IMG]
    I think it's my system age that's doing the cleaning thing. I've not cleaned the glass on my tank at all for 6 weeks, and look;
    [​IMG]
    System stability is key I think, and loads of food !?!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  7. crashmushroom

Wow looks good hows the foxface mine is like he is on the coffee all day very jumpy. I think your sandbed may help alot aswell i have none.

8. crashmushroom

Do sabbath interesting to see how it goes for us all and with what results.

9. Garf

Foxface is 10, loves chopped up nori. He is a bit skittish, even now.

10. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Harlequin shrimp. You will have no stars in a week!.. ok maybe a month but not much more than that.. lol

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

11. crashmushroom

Could u send me a few they seem to be doing the job :)

12. Garf

Not gonna get any more on the screen I reckon. Just about maxed out ! Started (only just) to degrade the lower levels at 9 and 18 days, nearly 400 grammes harvest and water looks great (skimmer in operation also bubbles on screen).
    edge on 9days left, 18 right
    [​IMG]

9 day side
    [​IMG]

18 day side
    [​IMG]

13. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

Nice. That is incredible growth! Do you this that the injected CO2 is helping this growth?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  14. Garf

Stopped the DIY generated Co2 a few weeks ago because I thought it may be skewing the results, so this is just air bubbles on the screen, also running skimmer (both in sump with low flow through sump).

15. Garf

Got a quote for you that suggests I've gone in the right direction.

"This indicates that with intense illumination, the CO2 fixation rate can exceed the rate of nitrogen assimilation and, thus, the excess carbon and energy derived from photosynthesis are stored in the form of glycogen (Fay, 1983; Campbell et al., 1998; Zak et al., 2001).

So, growth is only 1 side of the story. Over illuminating (compared to the nitrate [or other nitrogen forms] concentration), forces the algae to store extra amounts of nutrients, because photosynthesis is occurring faster than the algae can translate it into growth.

To aid this, I've got a 50watt LED growlight arriving soon, to blast the harvested side of the screen and over illuminate the underlying algae on the unharvested side, to see what happens. Bit tired of replacing my CFLs every 3 months also if I'm honest. If it works will be getting another one for the other side.

16. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

So what does this effect mean to us? The algae is storing excess carbon/energy in the form of glycogen, but if not in growth, then where? In the cells? Is this what causes the yellow rubbery growth?

17. Garf

Maybe. Gonna try and get yellowish on mine and see what's happens to my levels. This may increase the phosphate uptake, as it's a component of glycogen as far as I can tell. Gonna do it slowly though, last thing I want is to mess up my tank.

18. crashmushroom

Interesting stuff.

19. Garf

Another update, still no die off at the screen. Appears I was wrong about it being maxed out. Got extra 15% harvest this time at 450 grammes wet weight......

Edge
    [​IMG]

9 day
    [​IMG]

18 day
    [​IMG]

Sticking with harvesting at 9 days for now.

20. srusso

srusso New Member Trusted Member

Garf, me and you are always searching ways to make it better. Thank you for documenting your findings, you are a great help to this community.