1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Growing algae through the screen.

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Garf, Nov 23, 2012.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

No pics today but 500gramme harvest, attachment to the screen is extremely firm.

2. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

500g very nice Garf! What size ATS do you have? How much food on the cube per day..guidelines would you say that you feed a day?

3. Garf

The lit area is 13 x 7, double sided. I can tell you pretty accurately how much I feed, because I calculated it for a sizing discrepancy I have with the guidelines on the scrubber site. It's just over 3 (Santa Monica Huge Cubes [3 grms]) or 10 metric cubes (1cm x 1cm x1cm). Screen is sized for 5 Huge cubes.

4. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

Man that means I should be harvesting over 250g a week. Hopefully with the skimmer off it will start growing more. I'm looking to add Saran Wrap to the screen as soon as I get some. Maybe this will push more dirty water down into the algae.

Sent from my mobile

Don

5. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

What was the discrepancy?

6. Garf

Cube size. If you look at the growth I get, compared to the size guidelines, my screen needs to produce almost twice as much to process 5 cubes instead of 3. That doesn't seem feasible to me, on a screen this size. I consider that my screen actually produces double of most screens I've seen, so this would indicate that the 1cm cube guideline is more realistic.

7. Ricky

1cm?.. how big of a cube does sm guideline use?

8. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

1 cubic centimeter is one way to look at it

the "Ocean Nutrition" cube is actually more like 1.25 cm per side, which is more like 3 cubic cm

9. Ricky

So you are saying my scrubber is undersized?

10. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

The "feeding based guideline" was always based on the Ocean Nutrition cube. There has been a recent debate about this as well as water content, etc...

11. Garf

This cycle was with UFO LED on the unharvested side

10 days
    [​IMG]

19 days
    [​IMG]

Edge (obviously)
    [​IMG]

12. Garf

Still running Bubbles On Screen Scrubber. Another 9 days gone. I am now harvesting the same amount every 9 days (cleaning 1 side at a time) than I was every 14 days (cleaning both sides at once). There is zero die off at the screen and the benefits of having constant filtering are self explanatory. The led UFO is also doing a good job so far;

19 days
    [​IMG]

9 days
    [​IMG]

13. Garf

Another 10% increase in harvest @ 545 grammes. Running bubbles on the screen to maximise growth and reduce alk consumption for 5 days then turning the bubbles off for the 4 days prior to harvest and allowing the pH to increase with reference to this - http://algaescrubber...e-Precipitation

18 days
    [​IMG]

9 days
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]