1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone tried one of these bulbs?

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Fishnbirds, Mar 6, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Fishnbirds

Fishnbirds New Member

Screenshot_2016-03-06-16-14-14-1.jpg
    Has anyone tried one of these? Would it work and how far from the screen would it need to be?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I've seen others use similar lamps, as is they have a tight pattern so 4-6" maybe, but if you can remove the bezel and take the lenses off, you can move them closer

3. Fishnbirds

Fishnbirds New Member

Do you know if they worked, got good growth?

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I've seen some work well and others not so well. I think that has to do with many factors though, you have to find the right distance and use the correct run time for your system. Other things like screen quality (roughness) and flow will make a difference as well. All in all I think they are a good option. Try to make sure you are getting ones with mostly red, and all 660nm red (not 630nm)

5. IMUG

IMUG New Member

Please update if you decide to use one of these. I have seen several LED grow bulbs that just screw into a normal lighting fixture. Seems like it would be an easy option when all you have to do it buy the housing with a clamp

6. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    I used one just like that or very similar. Worked well once I'd figured out how far away to place it.

The light is quite focussed though so you don't get a wide spread.

7. trivodi

trivodi Member

USA
    I tried two of these lights before I made my own LED lights and they were both too weak. It was only 15 more bucks to make my own lights