1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hello Richie here looking for advice on a scrubber..

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Richiero, Dec 12, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. have a 75g reef 30 gallon sump and was thinking about either doing a diy skimmer or getting one of you skimmers... what size would you suggest for a 75g with a 30g sump? 8 fish and some lps and softies....

thx for the help

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Welcome! I'm assuming you mean scrubbers, not skimmers o_O

For a tank that size, I don't really see the need for larger than the L2, unless you feed an absolute ton and have no other filtration.

3. i feed every other day, one cube my mysis, other days flake/pellets..... and if i was to upgrade in the future would this be good for a 110-120 thats as big as i can go....

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

The L2 would definitely handle your current load, and would be good for a 120 also. You can (and in some instances, should) add other filtration to complement the scrubber, like a small skimmer and/or some GAC, and you will get a very long way with that combination in a variety of situations.

5. i have other filtration i have a skimmer, bio pellets, a fuge, and i could run carbon.... is that good, my tank has been up for 15 months i just want that super clear water that i see on so many tanks......

6. Turbo

I'm surprised you don't already have super clear water with what you are running - what problems are you currently experiencing?

7. just that light brown flim diatom build on the glass, and i think my mp40 and mp 10 might be blowing stuff of the rocks making it look a cloudy in the tank

8. just want to get this right before i load this that with corlas

9. i like the idea of less water changes also.....

10. Turbo

Not sure what you are trying to show, that made me log in to my google account and then brought up a blank page like it was trying to load my non-existent webcam

11. Turbo

The diatom algae on glass, chances are you will not get rid of that. But it might lessen it.

For particulates, this is where mechanical filtration comes in (filter socks). But it's not really a bad thing necessarily, just unsightly

12. i have filter sox on lol, didnt use live rock i used dead rock to start that could be the issue also..... is it ture that the scrubber lessens the amout of water changes?

13. Turbo

Yes, running an algae scrubber will reduce your dependence on water changes needed for nutrient reduction. You still might need them for other reasons.

Dry rock vs live rock shouldn't matter. "a lot" of particulate matter is also somewhat relative. Are you sure it's not microbubbles?

14. i will take a vid and post it later, thx for the help

15. I think i found the prob, seems my mp 40 pushed a mound of sand into the corner of my tank where my mp10 is throwing it around..... I was also reading a thread over at algae scrubbers.net, where all three of the owners of the three scrubbers i am comparing commented on the scrubber in that thread. I am looking at these three the sm hog1x and surf 2 they seem over priced for what they are, then yours which has a great build quality but little out of my price range, and last EC-2.0 Algae Scrubber which has good build quality and is in my price range but the seller is in mexico. I have to make a decision for the most part its between you and that other guy i have to figure out whether or not staying domestic is worth the extra coin....

16. Turbo

His design is completely different in the manner that the screen is sprayed with streams or water instead of using a waterfall from a slot pipe. I bought one of his EC2.0 units for evaluation. I try to get my hands on all different types of scrubbers whenever I can, just to see what my competition is up to in person. So far, I haven't seen any idea that I would consider copying, I have only seen my ideas copied and maybe tweaked a bit.

I have put much thought into the development of my unit, and have spent a lot of time revising it so that it is the best algae scrubber you can buy. Here is what I consider to be the advantages of my design over any other scrubber made by anyone else, not necessarily specific to any one manufacturer.

1) I use name-brand, high quality 3W LEDs. LED intensity is very important, as is arrangement, and brand quality (which is a minimal overall expense)

2) LEDs are adjustable intensity - you can start at low intensity for initial growth, then increase to full intensity once the screen is mature. My unit is designed for both stages.

3) The unit is capable of extremely high flow. This is important when placing the unit in a tank that is large in comparison to the rated capacity of the unit, or when placing the unit on a tank with a very heavy bioload. The main drain is 1.5" and includes a tuning valve for silent operation. The secondary drain is low on the side (just above the false bottom) and is 1.25". The function of my unit is set up so that the main drain can be "tuned" via the ball valve to run at or close to a full siphon, with a small percentage of flow can go through the side drain. The side drain also functions as an emergency overflow in the instance that there is a flow restriction through or on the way to the bottom drain. I have tested each unit at nearly 800 GPH of flow and the bottom drain was still valved back a bit, with no flow through the side drain (meaning the unit could actually take even more flow). When going to a higher flow rate, usually you want to increase the intensity of the LEDs at the same time. Hence the reason why item #2 is important

4) All plumbing connections (supply and drain) are sealed through threaded fittings and o-ring gaskets. All water input connections are either threaded PVC parts or hose barb connections, so there is no chance of any fittings coming apart or breaking off. There are also no bulkheads protruding into the box, which tend to restrict space and flow (my earlier units used bulkheads)

5) Slot pipe is easily removed by unscrewing the threaded cap on one end and lifting the screen out. You do have to shut off the water, but one should never remove a screen full of algae while the water is running anyways, because this will cause the built-up algae mat at the bottom of the unit (on top of the false bottom) to pull apart and detach, causing algae to get flushed down the drain and into your tank/sump.

6) There are no obstructions inside the box. It is easy to remove the false bottom and clean. Algae will build up in the bottom corners of the box and on the clear windows, which does need to be removed with a toothbrush now and then

7) My new design, which uses custom LED boards, disperses the heat so evenly that no fans are required, unless there is absolutely zero convective air flow in the space where the unit is housed. I have left these running all day long and they are room temperature to the touch.

8) My new lid design prevents the lid from warping over time.

17. Sicce Syncra Silent 3.5 Multifunction Aquarium Pump (660 GPH)

18. Turbo

Remember that you do get what you pay for.

Forgive the thread mess on this site, it's in my to do list. The L2 is $399 which includes everything but the pump. Shipping is my cost +$20 because I spend a lot of extra time to pack it properly, I use a lot of packaging material to ensure that each unit arrives in tact.

Out of over 150 units shipped, I've only had one show up damaged. Unfortunately, that was today!!