1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hello Richie here looking for advice on a scrubber..

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Richiero, Dec 12, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I'll have to look at the pump tomorrow, but after your head loss it might be enough, you need at least 200GPH through the scrubber

2. i have a free outlet on my maifold b/c my carbon is not running , and can you give me the demensions on the unit i have to see if it fits under my stand before i even think this through any more.. Thanks

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

4. so from the link you sent me its 9" long,9" wide and 7" tall.. how much clearnce do you need to get the lid off to clean the pad? i have 2 inches of space to the botton of my tank.... do you have a return policy if the unit doesnt fit correctly i did the Measurement i have the space but when you have the actual item it can be hard to manipulate in place... thank you for being so helpful

5. Turbo

What is your measurement from the top of your sump to the underside of your stand?

6. 9 1/2 " that's what she said ;) , and do u have to take the whole unit out every week to clean it or can u just take out the pad? Thank you again

7. Turbo

You barely have room, you would be able to get the screen out, but it would be difficult. In your situation, it would be better to remove the unit with each cleaning. I had this scenario in mind when I designed the shelf bracket system. Having something like this would allow you to tilt or "roll" the unit so you could remove it without having to disconnect/reconnect the plumbing in the sump area each time.

As far as a return policy, I've ran across this situation once before and had to give a refund because I didn't preface the sale with "make sure it fits". So I would say that the first step here is to create a mock-up out of cardboard or posterboard and tape and see if you can make it work. The dims I posted include the heat sinks, and with those installed it's not a perfect cube shaped box, but I think the diagonal dimension of the acrylic main body is about 9.25", which is the clearance you would need to 'roll' it. Keep in mind that you have to account for your shelf also. But, your shelf or stand can also be a box made out of PVC pipe that is free-standing in the sump like this:

[​IMG]

^^ that's an old L2 BTW

8. Hey Bud how is everything going ??? had a question about the light fixtures are they water sealed?? b/c if i build the set that you gave me in that image then in will be below the top of my sump.... for some reason when i turn off my ret pump sometimes my water level barley moves other times it drops like a inch or so changing the water level in my sump. the way the system is draining now i could gain an xtra 1 1/2 with that set up you showed me.... any idea why the water level fluctuates like that?

9. i have this custom siphon break http://mikekirkman.com/forum/smf_1-...ction=dlattach;topic=1204.0;attach=8066;image ,To make a siphon break, you can drill a hole in the return plumbing at a high spot, and divert this flow to enter at the surface. I prefer making a pvc loop just below the top of the tank, and using a tee with a john guest fitting plumbed to a hole in the overflow elbow. Here's a picture. The tee is being fed by the return coming from the left, the black tube is the siphon break. water should stop once air hits that tube

10. Turbo

Draw down on power outage should be a simple thing. The water is going to drain down to the point where your overflow fence is minimum (like the bottom edge of the teeth on the overflow box) or to the lowest level that your return plumbing sits. Water will always drain through your overflow to the low point, to get lower than that, your return plumbing is the only way it can get lower, via backsiphoning.

I don't know how to explain the difference in water level fluctuation you are seeing, unless you are using a check valve and it is not working right 100% of the time. A check valve should only be used to control the backsiphoning rate in order to prevent a return pump from failing to start properly, it should not be used to prevent backsiphoning from overflowing the sump - sump sizing, operating water level management, and return line position should be arranged to prohibit that scenario.

The light fixtures are NOT waterproof. So you have to figure out what is going on with your drainage per the above statements, and determine your maximum power-off water level, and make sure your scrubber does not get mounted below that position.

Other factors at play are your ATO and sensors. This is an additional factor that I always figure into the "worst case scenario". Say your ATO is 5 gallons. Say you just fill the bucket, and you have an "operating" level line marked in your sump. Right after you fill the bucket, your ATO sensor fails and the ATO pump dumps the full 5 gallons into your tank. Right after that, your power fails and your sump fills to the max. The scrubber must be above this line. Let me repeat that. MUST. Under no circumstances or scenarios can the water level rise above the bottom of the scrubber base.

11. Turbo

Can't see that link because I'm not a member...and registration is disabled. Looks like their forum is closed due to spammers. Boy is that a simple fix though, hmm.

Right click and save, upload here

12. Turbo

I think I know what you are trying to describe, return line siphon breaks can get clogged so you need to make sure they stay clear, that might be the issue.

13. Hey man was over at algae scrubbers and just read that you got band over there , its starting to look like the surf 2 might be the only design that will work with my set up, do they really suck? I already know they are not worth the price they are asking what other options are there if worse comes to worse?.. well its thats sites loss for sure....

14. Turbo

I would say that they are not long-term verified and tested. They might work, or might not. But they are being touted as if they have been. That's the issue, IMO. The floating type scrubbers perform differently, and it has been assumed/purported that things are apples-to-apples and it may not be

15. I hear you, i hope i can work something out with my set up... they seem a bit $$$$$$$$ for what they are made out of.....

16. siphon break

Attached Files:

17. Turbo

[​IMG]

So does the text above match up with the photo? I'm a bit confused. Is the black 90 on the right the return line?

18. the return is on the left, there is a 90 facing upward with a T on it the part of the pic you cant see has the 3/4 ret piping going to it, on right it the drain where you drill a whole and insert the 3/8 hose the siphon break is made inside the ret once air hits the 3/8 line, so now the aquarium wont drain down to the lowest point...

19. Turbo

Sorry, I'm totally lost with your explanation.