1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hello Richie here looking for advice on a scrubber..

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Richiero, Dec 12, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. that zeo kit looks like a pain in the but....

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I assume you also mean manifold...

As far as your question, are you planning to tap off your return pump for the scrubber and go from pipe size A to pipe size B? What is your manifold pipe?

3. as of now i have 2 outlets on the manifold, one it running the bio pellets the other did have carbon but its offline, i was thinking about adding another outlet to my new manifold set up so i can run the scrubber off of it, my ret turn pump is rated for 66o gph i have about 4' head loss which is more b/c i have 2 45's in the line and 2 90's... i am not opposed to the idea of running the scrubber off a powerhead to start until my ret pump fails then i can buy a bigger one. looks like i am getting around 600 gph with this pump..
    http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/wat...ction-aquarium-pump-660-gallons-per-hour.html

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

L2's going to need about 200 GPH, look like that pump would put out around 500 GPH for you (that's about 5' of head) and factoring in the pellets, that leaves less than 300 GPH to return up to your tank, which isn't a ton but as long as you have powerheads in the tank, should work OK. I might consider a bigger pump but then more $$ of course.

5. my mp40 and mp 10 move a lot of water.... its cheaper to buy a 30 dollar ph then a bigger pump lol, guess that will be the route i will go its cost 170 bucks for the Sicce 5,.... when the pump kicks the bucket i will buy the sicce 5... did u ever get those dimensions.

6. hey floyd just wondering i have a refugium would i have to get rid of it with an algae scrubber? and do you have those measurments?

7. Turbo

Box (without light fixtures or lid) has a footprint of 6" x 8.5" and is 7" tall.

The heat sinks protrude 1.5" off each side, but have an angle on them so they are not the "full height" of the box. If you mocked up a box that was 6" x 7" x 8.5" and then attached a second box to each side that was 1.5" x 6" x 8.5" long to act as the heat sink, that would be about as accurate as you're going to get.

Let me know if that makes sense...

8. I made the Mock up 9" w 7.5 h and 9 L on the original compensating for the light fixtures etc ,would that be good for a sample. And would I be able to keep my refugium ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Turbo

Yes, 9x9 and 7.5" high will be very representative of the maximum dimensions.

You may be able to keep your refugium, but it is sort of a balancing act. You can play with the light intensity and photoperiod as well as flow rate of the scrubber, and leave enough nutrients for both to survive.

10. i like the refugium for my pods and stuff, the pods would still live in the rubble rock and sand if my cheato gets starved out by the scrubber, is that a correct statement?

11. Turbo

Nope, you're right. Pods don't need plants to survive. But if you give the area light and flow, it's highly likely there will be some. Let the scrubber output go into the fuge chamber and you will have lots of pods in there

12. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Bentic Zones have tons of pods. No light or plants

13. whats up floyd maybe you have a answer for my plumbing question... i am in the process of drawing up plans for my new manifold so i can try to fit your scrubber. i am looking to change up my maifold to give me working room over my fuge section of my sump i was thinkg about sawaping out my current pvc 1/2" 1/4 turn valves with john quest 1/4 turn 3/8" valves which will be tapped in my 3/4 manifold pipe. will the 3/8" be good enough to power my 2 little fishes reactors that have pellets and carbon? thank you for any advice.

Attached Files:

14. Turbo

I don't have a ton of experience with manifold like you are describing. Going from 1/2" to 3/8" is just over 1/2 of the cross section though, (0.25" to 0.14") and this will decrease the flow by more than 50%, due to the boundary layer effect related to pipe flow. You will have more resistance meaning higher pressure required to get the same flow, so with pressure remaining the same, flow can only decrease. This is made worse by the fact that there is another larger-diameter outlet (tank return) that is a path of less resistance.

I'm not sure if I answered your question or made things more complicated :oops:

15. :)i think i got it, with the smaller hole it takes more pressure to get the same type of flow out of the 3/8 line. you wouldnt happen to be an engineer would you my bro in law is a civil engineer and he does the same thing lol, so i guess i will keep my current setup the 3/4 with 3/4 valves reduced to 1/2 inch those are the standard connections on the 2 little fish reactors anyway... i just noticed some gha on one my rocks i need to get this done lol i am just gald you are so willing to help..

16. Turbo

Yes :cool: I'm an Electrical Engineer by degree and trade

17. hey whats up? i just did the mock up, by any chance were you drinking corona when you made you scrubber? its the same size as a 1/2 case of carona box lol... its going to be to tight and a pain in the but to take out and put in i have to remove my skimmer each time.. do you have any other suggestion for me? i really dont want to buy the SM product but it might be the only choice for me.....

18. Turbo

Well you can always do a DIY one and I make make certain critical parts for you if you want, such as the slot pipe, screen & light fixtures, you would just need to DIY the rest, such as any kind of light blocking needs, spray protection, pipe support, etc. It would just be an open/hanging screen but that's a good waterfall design nonetheless.

I should have my hands on my new light blockers pretty soon also, which would also eliminate part of the spray protection needs

19. I have DIY led experience did all the lights on my tank so I am good with soldering and stuff, so the screen would be in the water or above? Splash protection would be maybe plastic of some sort incasing the scrubber sheet? What size pipe would I have to use? Thank you for the help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Turbo

A lot if these questions can be covered with the "algae scrubber basics" threads on many sites. It's not here since the xenforo transition (articles didn't get imported) but google it and go to the RC thread and look for the post number in my signature. I'll have to post if here too. Off to family event.