1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighting Hey bud or Ace can you guys translate.

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by Ricky, Dec 27, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

2. Ricky

This post seems to do the trick:

I got it working. It turned out to be really simple. Just put the Apex VarSpd port on the Dim+ and Dim- pins of the d120 board and short out the other two pins on the little daughter board. No need for a digital pot at all.

Video below.

You could use an op-amp configured for unity gain to isolate the d120 from the Apex, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything at least for the 20 minutes or so I was running it. Not sure if the VarSpd ports will like it long term, but the max current I observed going through them was 2.33mA, at minimum brightness, so it seems like it will be fine. At max brightness it was only drawing 20 microAmps.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2013
  3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I haven't done much of this type of circuit design / etc since college...a bit rusty and slammed at work currently. Everyone decided that the end of the year was the right time to ask for everything to get done that was supposed to be done in the middle of January

4. Ace25

Ace25 Member Trusted Member

It looks so simple to me, but I am looking at it from a different point of view than those on RC.

Analog POTs are 1-10v dimmer knobs, VDM is 1-10v.. perfect match as opposed to have to worry about PWM conversions.

What I would do, unsolder the 2 main wires going to each POT on the fixture, and install a CAT5 connector on the fixture. Punch down the 4 wires to the CAT5 connector, paying attention to which colors you patched to so they match the V1/V2 ports (have to do a little research). Cut a square hole in the fixture and mount the connector, then you can use a normal network cable to plug into the light and V1/V2 port on the VDM.

Ricky likes this.
  5. Ricky

thanks @Ace25

I actually ordered two radions. So I don't have to worry about this anymore.

@Turbo I hope it gets better for ya. Hopefully soon you will be your own boss.

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I am the boss! Well, one of them at least. Only slave to clients/projects, and that will never change!