1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HKF's waterfall ATS build

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by HK_Fuey, Jun 20, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. HK_Fuey

HK_Fuey New Member

Build part 1 - the wet bits
    P1030755.jpg P1030756.jpg P1030757.jpg P1030760.jpg P1030761.jpg

The lights will be 4 sets of these, 2 on each side:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-3-x-3W-R...item5af24a76da

I contacted the seller on ebay and got him to post a new deal with 4 sets, with a power cable splitter (1 to 4) and postage for $40. Arrived within a couple of weeks from HK.

I used left over bits from plumbing my tank, and got the reducer from the garden centre - actually for free from the aquatics guy, as he found it in a box with a pump for a garden pond, which already had missing bits and had been reduced. I chopped a bit off with a junior hacksaw, then used PVC glue to glue the PVC pipe into it. A nice snug fit. I'm not bothered if it leaks a bit as it will all be within the sump, and I could seal it a bit more with silicon if needed. The only bit I bought was the end cap for a couple of quid, the NJ1200 pump for £20ish of ebay, and a bit of pipe for couple of quid.

I feed about 1/2 cube per day at the moment (and about sheet of Nori spread out over the week for my foxface), but plan to have 3 tangs, so will have to increase that at a later date.

The screen is 31.5 x 14cm. I make this big enough for 5-6 cubes - right?

I based this on the max sized screen I could fit in, with a NJ1200 (that limits the width, as you need to provide 65lph per cm width). The NJ1200 would cover about 13-14cm width at this rate, at about 50cm head height.

2. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

I've seen a few use them lights. Heard nothing bad about them.

3. HK_Fuey

HK_Fuey New Member

Finally got around to building the rest of it. Up and running at last!
    IMG_0531.jpg IMG_0530.jpg IMG_0529.jpg

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I think your LEDs are probably too close. You should not have such an intense hot spot like that, you want more even coverage

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Do you have the lenses on those triple-chip boards still? If so, take them off

6. HK_Fuey

HK_Fuey New Member

I do. I was really careful not to knock them off. Oh well! Will give it a try taking them off and see how that looks. If no good, will have to have a think about how to mount them further away.

7. HK_Fuey

HK_Fuey New Member

Update...

Shortly after I set this up, it fell over, shorting out the lights on one side. I've since ditched the waterfall idea, and gone for a small pump facing directly upwards to create waves, as per Garf's idea. I've kept the bar to spread the wave over the width of the sump, and detached the screen and weighed it down in three places across the width of the sump. Kind of like this /\/\. The lights are now on a bar across the top of the sump directly above the screen (about 6 inches from the water surface, and the screen waves up and down between 1-6 inches of water.

Will get a photo up later.

Thoughts?

8. HK_Fuey

HK_Fuey New Member

Pics:
    IMG_1464 - Copy.jpg IMG_1465 - Copy.jpg