1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acrylic HOB Internal Overflow & Pump Box for Top-Of-Tank Scrubber

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by Turbo, Jan 27, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

This one has been a brainchild of mine for a while. I have really, really needed to get a waterfall scrubber on my personal tank to compete with the UAS "test" model that I have been running for the last 9 month.

So, I finally dedicated a little time to getting this done, and here it is

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So this hangs on the rim of my 120 and there will be a nylon thumbscrew on the back bottom of it (inside the tank) to keep it level, and possibly a couple along the back lip to secure it in place on the tank, but I'm really not worried about that. The squares on the ends are there because I screwed up a few of the pieces and had to use scrap material that had big holes in them. So this is just a quick-and-dirty one I threw together.

It's made for a Rio 1100 pump, so this will sit near the center brace on one side, with the scrubber sitting on the corner of the tank. Once I get that installed I'll start a new thread (or hey, here's an idea, why don't I start a thread for my OWN tank on my OWN forum, dang man I'm a slacker!!).

2. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

Nice, Can they be a little longer and narrower?

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yes, I suppose, depending on the pump. The Rio pump has a base that slides on to it with suction cups, I designed this one to allow for the use of the suction cups due so that it dampens the vibration. Not sure I would want to run the pump without that. Perhaps another form of dampening, like some foam block or something might do just as well.

4. sabbath

To Box or Shelf it

I'm thinking now that having just the bottom would look less intrusive. Having the pump sitting on a shelf with maybe a small groove so it won't slide off.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  5. Turbo

Yes that is possible too. The only disadvantage being zero surface skimming. My tank has has a off-and-on issue with surface skimming. When the UAS was at it's lowest effectiveness point, and the powerheads were constantly clogged with algae, I had a layer of scum on the surface and bubbles/dinos around the edge of the tank. I figured that adding in surface skimming would help this situation if it every reared it's ugly head again.

6. sabbath

How much money would you need for one?

7. Turbo

Not sure - I haven't thought that far ahead!! I have to make sure it does what I intend before getting too far ahead of myself LOL