1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOB Submerged Scrubber on eBay

Discussion in 'Experimental Scrubber Concepts' started by Turbo, Oct 15, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Just in case the RC link gets taken down (which they do from time to time)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23179436&postcount=6209

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Algae-Scrubber-Tank-mounted-/271628780964

Cheap chinese scrubber. They still are just skirting around the whole concept of the waterfall and UAS, this one is neither, it's a submerged vertical one-sided with what does not look like a roughed-up screen.

I had something like this on paper at some point and never ran with it.

However, I've had some recent brainstorming (in a different direction) and I've now realized that it might be possible to make my next version flexible enough to use as a standard waterfall or an HOB type. Actually not really HOB, as it would not "hang" on the back of the tank, because a true waterfall scrubber (which I believe is the most efficient type of Algae Scrubber) cannot hang on the back of a tank without draining to a sump.

2. Mike185

Mike185 Member Customer

If it had an integrated pump and a means to mount it on the back of the aquarium (which it apparently does not), it likely would still be a waste of $109. Here's another Chinese ATS, which lists for a lower price but does not include lights, pump or shipping:

http://www.fish-street.com/ats_algae_turf_scrubber_filter_system?search_string=algae turf scrubber

This one, unlike yours, is guaranteed to "Increase the feeding of the premise." But, since most American aquarists are woefully unconcerned about feeding their premise, I think you're still safe.

Mike

Turbo likes this.
  3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

LOL

4. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

I reckon that ebay one ain't too bad. I'm only looking at it on my phone, but it looks like a submerged scrubber?

Rough up the screen and put a decent pump on there and I reckon it'll work pretty good. Not as good as a waterfall scrubber, but it should take a steaming turd on the HOG's and SURF's.

5. Turbo

Yes, submerged screen. No pump shown and no feed tube, looks like a hacked up HOB unit or something basically.

6. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

Oh, well pretty useless then if you can't get water flow through it.

Maybe there's something we're missing or can't see.

7. Turbo

I'm guessing they don't sell with a pump because it comes from Hong Kong and they are selling internationally. Why it doesn't come with a J or U tube, dunno. I guess you're supposed to figure that part out yourself.