1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intermediate Screen Cleaning

Discussion in 'Basic Principles' started by Turbo, Jun 21, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Some people have algae in their display tank that is really tough to get rid of. Others would prefer to avoid any kind of spike in nutrients after screen cleaning.

Instead of doing weekly full-screen cleanings, performing partial cleaning can help. There are several ways to do this.

The simplest method is to alternate cleaning of each side - clean only one side of the screen at a time, leaving the other side to grow for another week.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the side that does not get cleaned remains completely untouched - you would still want to:

1. clean the slot pipe
    2. clean the top edge of the screen (that is inserted into the slot pipe)
    3. scrape the algae off the edges of the screen, maybe 2-3 rows in from the bottom and side edges
    4. give the screen a quick 'swipe' with a scraper or just a rub with your fingertips
    5. give the screen a quick rinse to wash away any loose strands
    If only cleaning one side is not to your liking, you can do what I have been doing on a couple "difficult" tanks - a partial cleaning of both sides.

I start out with a screen that looks like this after a week or so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do the steps 1-4 as outlined above, but before rinsing, I use the corner of my scraper to clean the screen in a 'tic-tac-toe' pattern on one side

[​IMG]

then rotate that 45 degrees on the other side

[​IMG]

then I rinse while rubbing with fingertips.

One additional step that can be taken is doing your rinsing and cleaning mainly in saltwater, per this thread:

https://www.turbosaquatics.com/vb4/...n-with-Tap-Water-vs-Saltwater&p=1278#post1278

2. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member