1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Discussion in 'Product Information' started by Turbo, Sep 3, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. b4tn

b4tn New Member

Glad to hear everything is going well with your dad. Mine lives on the west coast and I live on the east coast. It kills me all the time that I dont get to see him as often as I would like.

And I just did a little happy dance lol cant wait!

2. b4tn

b4tn New Member

Bud, I have no idea how you manage to maintain a real job, family life, AND crank these things out. Got my L2 today and The attention to detail in packaging and accessories is top notch. I will get this thing setup this weekend and start a new thread on progress.

Turbo likes this.
  3. Jreef

Jreef New Member

I got my L2 today. I have to agree with the above - the build quality is great. I read the quick start guide and other info and not sure if I missed it but what is the tube of silicone grease used for?

4. b4tn

b4tn New Member

Extra for the O-rings on the grow chamber is my guess.

5. Jreef

Jreef New Member

O-rings? Are those the things up under the blue tape?

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

^this
    No that just holds the screen pin in for shipping.

Lift up on the growth chamber by pulling upward on the corner opposite from the emergency drain (you have leverage at this point) and the growth chamber disengages from the base. Viola! O-rings.

I really need to put together my 5-minute overview video...I'm missing this stuff on the Quick Start Guide, ugh.

7. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

8. Jreef

Jreef New Member

Thanks! The video helps a lot. Hopefully final question...I know not to use primer on the ABS but can I use it on the PVC? Or is it completely no primer at all. Thanks!

9. Turbo

Always primer on PVC. That's in the guide :)

Jreef likes this.
  10. Turbo

I got a few of the larger-version parts in, but I'm waiting on the rest of them. Here's a teaser though...

The L4/L8/L16 Growth Chamber is a modular design. It is a 2-part mold, a "bottom" part and a "side": 1 bottom + 2 sides = L4. 1 bottom + 4 sides = L8, etc

I'm testing out bonding & sealing methods so for now here are a few pics of everything dry-fitted together & held in place with blue painter's tape. It actually holds together pretty well on it's own but give it a good shake and it falls apart like a house of cards :p

L4 Growth Chamber

[​IMG]

L8 Growth Chamber

[​IMG]

L16 Growth Chamber (it's a monster)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closeup of the overlapping joint area: it's designed with "keys" so that it minimizes the stupid factor (on my part, as in "you didn't line that up when you bonded it, stupid!!") and plenty of overlap for a good seal and strong joint. I have yet to put it to the drop-test...

[​IMG]

Here's the Slot Pipe, there were some shrinkage/cracking issue with the samples but they have since resolved this

[​IMG]

Slot pipe & L16

[​IMG]

The Heat Sink End Caps for the L4/L8/L16 fixture turned out perfect.

[​IMG]

In case I didn't cover it, the ends of the Heat Sinks have a rail built in so that they can be slid together side-by-side. You can see them in this pic

[​IMG]

I'm still waiting on the 2 other major components: the Base and the J-Channels. These are also a modular design. The Base & J-Channels snap together, which means the whole system can be shipped as parts (more compact) and is easy to assemble (no bonding of the Base + J-Channels). Also, an L4 can be converted to an L8 by swapping parts (or to an L16, or L8 to L16)

11. mitchrapp

mitchrapp New Member

VA
    I'm at about 4 weeks and have not cleaned it yet nor changed the LED settings (6 o'clock, 14 hours a day). Should I clean it and/or change the LED settings?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mitchrapp

mitchrapp New Member

VA
    I misstated my LED settings in the last post. They are at 6 o'clock and 12 hours a day.

13. Turbo

I would clean it by swiping your hand across it and rinsing in tap water (room temp from faucet, just not a sprayer). You want to cause any growth that is not fibrous (i.e. slimy, goo, etc) to detach, and it will easily. Anything else that stays behind, leave it. You can do this every 7-10 days if you keep getting that type of growth. You want to "make way" for the GHA to grow.

No brush or rough rubbing with fingertips quite yet - you don't want to remove any more mortar than you need to at this point, just get the slime off. If there is a lot, use your judgement and use the toothbrush and make a few gentle swipes with that (you'll lose a bit of mortar, no big deal).

I can't tell due to the light level but it looks like your screen has some green growth at the base, covered by a slimy layer. The green should stay attached and the goo should rinse off pretty easily. If you take that screen and hold it under a bright light vs backlit or make sure the flash catches the screen and lights it up well, I can tell a bit better what type of growth you are getting. But I would say with a few rinse-off cleanings, it's primed to take off

14. Johnic

Johnic New Member

Looking to order a L2 Rev4 algae scrubber. What's the waiting list time running ?

15. Turbo

Welcome @Johnic! Wait time for the L2 is short - 7-10 days from payment to shipping. I got your email on the contact form, go to www.turbosaquatics.com/ordering.html and email me your info (which will open up a support ticket on my end; it's just email on your end)

16. Johnic

Johnic New Member

image.jpeg
    I don't have a lot of room in my sump and I'm looking for ideas to fit the L2 into the space. I've posted a couple pics. I'd like to feed it with from the main pump ( you can see the ball value in pic).
    Depth is 14" and width is about 14". I have the height.

17. Turbo

Can you post a wider-angle shot of your sump? I can't see what's going on along the back edge of it. Space looks a little tight so I am wanted to see the whole area.

18. Johnic

Johnic New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Does this help?

19. Johnic

Johnic New Member

The skimmer takes up a lot of room.

20. Johnic

Johnic New Member

Ps: I have a Santa Monica Hog 3 and it's not growing anything and it's been running for 7 months.