1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Discussion in 'Product Information' started by Turbo, Sep 3, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yeah that's pretty tight in there. What is that pipe in the back that goes up over the sump to the right?

I see a possible space between the skimmer and return but the Cepex valve is in the way a bit, although it does look like that is just below the rim of the sump. So you could come out of that valve into hose, under the scrubber and around to the other side. Or, elbow down and then run the tubing toward the back of the sump and straight up into the scrubber then use the 90 elbow on the slot pipe (the PVC slip/thread 90). It would still make sense to use the provided union connected to that 90 on the slot pipe, for easy disconnection & slide out of the growth chamber (if you used the Cepex as a union you would have a lot of hose to deal with)

Would that work/fit?

2. Johnic

Johnic New Member

I'm going to need to build a cardboard dummy box and see if it fits. The pipe on the right is a auto water changing pipe for return water. That needs to stay. I'll also check if I can swing the ball value u see at a different angle. I like your advise, I really want this to fit!

Turbo likes this.
  3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Another option: turn the AWC return pipe 90 degrees (counterclockwise from top) then move skimmer to back, and put scrubber across front of sump (left-to-right). Then the only issue is you have to reach over/around the scrubber to get to the skimmer cup. Could also put the scrubber towards the back oriented left/right.

Remember when you make the mock up that you can offset the scrubber to one side; the center and end drain would need to be over the sump but the other end can hang over another section. I'll have to diagram that :)

4. Turbo

UPDATE: L4, L8 and L16 are planned for release in Mid-July. This is pending verification of all final parts (should be done by 6/30/16).

>> CLICK HERE FOR PRICING AND WAITING LIST INFORMATION ON ALL SIZE UNITS <<

Introductory pricing offer for larger units will continue until JULY 15th! Just contact me to get on the waiting list!

To get on the list, open a support ticket by following the instructions here: Turbo's Aquatics - Ordering

^^ this is just as simple as sending me an email, which is listed on that page. You can provide your other information later if you want!

5. Johnic

Johnic New Member

Ya. I made a mock up and damn it's a tight fit. Maybe you have another idea? I'll keep working on it.

6. mitchrapp

mitchrapp New Member

VA
    I had a HOG2 for a month and it didn't grow anything. Plus it was way too loud. Much more growth after 4 weeks with turbo's L2 and it is dead silent.

Did an initial gentle clean with the palm, increased LED to 14 hours a day. LED intensity still at 6:00. When should I increase the intensity?

Here is 1 week after cleaning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Turbo

Looks pretty dark, but a good amount of coverage. With that kind of dark slimy stuff, you generally want to get some of it off to make way for GHA to grow, so you might rub it with your fingertips a bit, while under running water, and see what comes off. If it's tough, then take the denture toothbrush and use that to swipe across it, but tilt it so that you are "dragging" it (bristles on the lagging side of the motion) rather than "scrubbing" with the brush (bristles perpendicular or turned into the direction of motion) if that makes sense.
    That's good, could probably go longer.
    bump it up to 4 o'clock

8. Johnic

Johnic New Member

Very nice. Jealous. It's not looking good for me fitting in the scrubber. :(

9. Johnic

Johnic New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Might have found a location for ATS. Problem I now have is supporting it. Thoughts on location and how to mount it. I also have only 5.25" above ATS. Is that enough ?

10. Turbo

2nd & 3rd pic here: Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Or something similar to that. 5.25" is fine, you only need 1.5" headroom to be able to lift up on the growth chamber enough to disengage it from the base and slide it out the end. So is you use 1/2" PVC pipe for rails, then egg crate on top, zip tie together, you still have room.

You could also drill holes through the base & pipes and secure them directly to the scrubber

11. Johnic

Johnic New Member

I need to figure out a location and way to secure the pvc pipes on the back side. I can elbow down on the front side and secure it to the top edge of sump. It's the back of sump that is busy. I have a auto top off reservoir and cover to that dead in the way of resting the pic pipes on. And the back wall of cabinet have the grey return pipes u see in the pics before running horizontal the whole way. :/
    It the unit heavy when running and water in it ?
    I was thinking of hanging it from above ? I'll see how that works.
    And I thought I had a big enough sump when I designed it ....

12. Johnic

Johnic New Member

Will the ATS also reduce my phosphates?My nitrates are in check with 0 to 1.

13. Turbo

You could also create a stand that sits inside the sump, if maybe just on the back. Can do this out if PVC pipe also

The unit weighs ~10lbs empty, add maybe 3-4lb max water weight

Nutrient level reduction depends on the system but generally it can keep both in check well

14. Turbo

@Johnic here is what I am referring to regarding a stand that sits in the sump

[​IMG]

15. Turbo

I thoroughly bench-tested the Rev 4 L2 before rolling it out, and then I took care of my waitlist customers first before swapping out my own scrubber.

About 18 days ago I finally retired my trusty Rev 1 L2 and installed a Rev 4 L2 with a brand new mortar screen, unseeded. Just cleaned it tonight. Now excuse me while I break my arm patting myself on the back, but this is the fastest I've ever had a screen take off, and I've replaced the screen a few times on this tank. Looking back...I kinda wish I had put myself first in line. But, I had a functioning scrubber and a line of people doing without! Life keeps me pretty busy and this year had been no exception...probably my busiest time ever in my life, on all levels.

Anyways, here's my first cleaning - 4 parts, I just dumped it off my phone and uploaded it straight up so forgive the quality. I tend to take pics and video then never get around to uploading them, smh. Anyways, check out the growth!

1 of 4

The rest are uploading...watch for them on my YouTube channel Bud Carlson I'll post them up tomorrow...

16. Turbo

2 of 4

3 of 4

4 of 4

17. Turbo

I was on vacation from 7/2 until late yesterday, I have as much if not more growth in the last 8 days, and that was with the flow dialed back "just in case" and lighting the same...video to come, lots to catch up on today

18. Turbo

Well...life has been busy, I haven't updated this thread in a month!!! I never did get to posting the video but here is the 7/24 harvest which was roughly the same (maybe a bit better) that the 7/13 one (so 11 days growth)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then yesterday, 8/9 was 16 days growth and the growth chamber was PACKED

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is after scraping, scrubbing the top edge, and rinsing (this is what it looked like going back into action)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Turbo

All the parts for the larger units are FINALLY en route to me!

Now for something different - revised Support Rails! Previously I made these out of acrylic, by hand, to order. Kind of time-consuming. After a few rounds of attempts at an extruded bracket (one of which was an EPIC failure...) I came up with this design

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is extruded PVC - the production version will be black. The original idea was to make this one part of a 2-piece bracket - the second piece being a 3/4" wide piece of 3/8" thick acrylic, slid through the hole, that could span over the top of a sump - and then the PVC part would serve as an I-beam underneath it and anyone could just cut it to fit between the inner edges of their sump rim. This can still be done, but it's actually not necessary...

All you need to do it cut off the "T" braces underneath and let the "tube" section extend over the lip of your sump. You can also notch a section out with a hacksaw or coping saw and have a section that overhangs the lip of your sump. Or, you can drill it and insert a thumbscrew, you can bond something to it, etc. Very versatile. If you wanted to secure your scrubber to these, you can drill a hole in the ABS Base of a Turbo Algae Scrubber, then drill a pilot hole in the Rail, and screw it right down to the rail with a standard screw (Stainless Steel recommended).

If you wanted extra strength, there is probably an aluminum extrusion or steel bar that could be slid into the hole as well.

But...they're pretty strong all by themselves...which was what I was going for!!

48" Rails, ~36" Span: 0 lb

[​IMG]

40 lb

[​IMG]

80 lb

[​IMG]

These will be available soon:

For up to 24" length Rails, $30 for a set of 2, shipped (with or without scrubber purchase)
    For between 24" and 36" length Rails, $40 for a set of 2, shipped (because it requires a larger and usually separate shipping tube)

I can ship these internationally as a stand-alone item, but the shipping is a killer...just FYI.

These will work for sure for the L2 and L4, very likely to work for the L8 (I need to test a few configurations still). They may not be stable enough for the L16 - I still need to thoroughly test this (the sample parts I have been working with are not 100% functional so I only have limited "data")

20. Turbo

At long last, my shipment of L4 / L8 / L16 parts finally arrived this morning!! (the injection parts)

I don't have any pictures as I had to jet in, check the parts, and jet back out.

Calendar is clear for the 3-day weekend. The first batch of units will ship on Tuesday!

Also, in case anyone will be at MACNA in San Diego next weekend, you will be able to see an L2, L4 and likely an L8 on display at the Synergy Reef Systems Booth #735!

Matt Berry likes this.