1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Discussion in 'Product Information' started by Turbo, Sep 3, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

First Look at the L4

cbsaint01 and Matt Berry like this.
  2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Still chugging away....

The growth chamber assembly process for the larger units has really turned out to be a lot more time consuming than I ever expected. But I will be shipping at least 8 L4s and 4 L8s this week!

3. Turbo

Well.....I WANTED to ship a bunch of L4s and L8s this week...Dang where does the time go. Oh yeah...
    Monday, finish up one L4 to ship (done)

[​IMG]

L4 Mortar Screen

[​IMG]

Tuesday, wife at class, pick kid up from soccer, get dinner, mow lawn (with headlights on, in dark), take shower, crash
    Wednesday, early AM site inspection, drive 3 hours for a pre-bid walkthrough then 3 hours back, home at 8:30, eat, crash
    Today, get up at 5am and work on first L8 to ship, work, then probably some homecoming stuff (parade tonight), finish L8 for shipping tomorrow
    Tomorrow, pick up kid at soccer practice and take to football practice, then he will want to go to HC FB game I'm sure, night shot, so there'll be no squeezing another unit out by the FedEx cutoff.

Saturday, 9am soccer game, 10am FB pics, 11am FB game, the rest of the day is open
    Sunday looks open too...except for a frag swap (that I'm not in or running woo hoo)
    So it looks like the big shipping day will be Monday

More are indeed on the way, mostly built, but per the above...now shipped yet

Here are some growth chambers
    [​IMG]

L2 harvest recently
    [​IMG]

In "Upgrade and Fun New Goodies" news.....

Monogrammed 'Lil Chislers! These will be going out to all existing customers!
    [​IMG]

Also I have revised the End Cover Plates so that there are offset tabs that "grab" better
    [​IMG]
    The previous ones use Velcro to hold them in place, that was a temporary fix...this is the replacement, and these will be going out to all Rev 4 customers!

And lastly, I have revised the Drain Valve system! The new valve is not inside the drain pipe, so you can make a mistake cutting the pipe and not be hosed. It is also possible to configure this valve so that it can be adjusted remotely; meaning, if you don't have access under the scrubber to adjust the valve after it's installed, this solves your problem! It's also more effective (some had issues with the original one). Also, as some of you have discovered, the nylon thumbscrew swells up a bit over time and binds inside the threaded hole in the PVC drain pipe...rendering it stuck in position, and thus, useless. So, that's gone also (the thumbscrew)

Busy busy...

4. Any pics of an L8 in the wild yet?

5. Turbo

Yeah I can post one tomorrow...long day

6. 8 days later ;)

7. Turbo

**sucks air through teeth**

my bad!!! Everyone in my house got sick near the end of last week (including me) and all my plans just fell apart....here's the best I have at the moment

IMG_2299.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG

IMG_2298.JPG

IMG_2297.JPG

Dxmarinefish likes this.
  8. Now I really can not wait for my unit!

Turbo likes this.
  9. That's a Huge baby.

any chance of pics of the screen, etc.

Hope your family gets better soon.

10. I am thinking of ordering 2 L4's. The idea is to use one in the Sump and the other on top of the tank.

For the one on top of the tank it will have to be water tight, so i am assuming that this can be done by gluing the drain pipe fixtures (as opposed to just pushing it in).

11. Turbo

I run my personal unit on top of the tank, it sits directly on the corner of the frame (standard glass 120) and I just have the fittings pushed on to the drains. But that's an L2, with the L4 being longer, it might not be as stable so you would want a frame of some sort to span across the rim.

12. Thanks.

My tank has a framed top (see pics)
    There is a hole drilled at the top on the right side which i can use for one drain. Might need to drill a second hole for the emergency drain?
    IMG_1034.jpg

Here is the pic of the complete top of the DT.
    IMG_1034.jpg

There is a 5 gallon refugium which is glued to the back of the tank.

Attached Files:

13. Turbo

The primary drain is near the center, so that euro hole wouldn't be the best.

That 5g fuge seems like a candidate for the drainage actually. How does that drain back into the tank?

14. Yeah i thought of that as a possible option.
    It drains back into the tank via the hole in the front, over the euro brace (jus look to the left of the refugium, above the two DT output holes)
    I will need to build a stand for the ATS to raise it a bit higher.

Thinking about it more this would deal with any bubbles from the ATS as the refugium can act to reduce any bubbles.
    IMG_1037.jpg

I will create a live-size model of the L4 from cardboard and test for fitting and placement.

15. Turbo

Dims of the base for ya:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm guessing you also would use a bulkhead and an elbow here, correct?

16. Thanks for the pics, they really will help.
    Yes an elbow and bulkhead will be used.

Will the L4 be shipped (to the UK) in two separate boxes?

17. Turbo

No, it would be in one box...did you read otherwise somewhere? If so I need to clarify/fix that!

18. Not heard it anywhere, just wondering. What is the waiting list like?

19. Turbo

It's well over a month for the L4 and larger units

Dxmarinefish likes this.
  20. Are the LED light water proof?