1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Discussion in 'Product Information' started by Turbo, Sep 3, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

got you both!

2. rapidjohn

rapidjohn New Member

UK
    FloPlast SC250 Solvent Cement 250ml

3. rapidjohn

rapidjohn New Member

UK
    this is readly available in the UK Regards John

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Actually I'm not sure that is the right stuff. Everything I've read says the ABS to PVC solvent cement is green. But I'll add this to the list of things to check into, thanks @rapidjohn

5. rapidjohn

rapidjohn New Member

UK
    What the price of the v4 to the UK?

6. rapidjohn

rapidjohn New Member

UK
    Thank for that Turbo I have used this stuff to join PVC to polycarbonate tubing with great success I thing it will be ok on ABS to PVC send me a v4 and I will try it out for you LOL regards John

7. jfowler

jfowler New Member

Put me down for an L2 please.

8. jfowler

jfowler New Member

What size pump are we going to be using for the new L2?

9. Turbo

10. atoll

atoll Member

11. rapidjohn

rapidjohn New Member

UK
  12. Todd Leatherman

Todd Leatherman New Member Customer

Hi Bud!
    I'm heavily loaded in my 600 display so I'd like to to be in line for the L8 or L200 if you make that. My L4, I think it is is maxed out.
    Thanks! I really appreciate and admire your passion.

13. Turbo

14. Turbo

^^ that's the stuff!

15. dwayne

dwayne New Member

Do any of these work mounted remotely (i.e. not directly over the sump)?

16. Turbo

Yes, with some things taken into account. Over a sump or tank drain plumbing can be friction-fit. Remote-mounted, you may want to solvent join the plumbing where it is not over a tank. The drains are not under a lot of pressure like they would be from a pump, but they are not under negative pressure either, unless you don't have a drain valve in place (which would cause a sucking/gurgling sound.

That being said, friction fit plumbing will very likely keep everything sealed up pretty well, you might just get a bit of salt creep. If you supported the pipes correctly and used TFE paste (teflon) on the joints and pushed them together well, you would minimize this issue. Or, if you needed things to be sealed well but not "permanent", bond a union to the drains (but it'll be a 2" one!!)

17. dwayne

dwayne New Member

What would you recommend for a 90 gallon, total capacity of ~130? Also for a 300 gallon, total capacity of ~450? Worst case scenario for both, rather over engineer than under engineer.

18. Turbo

@dwayne that depends on a few factors such as what other filtration you are going to be using, but in general, the L2 should be enough for the 90g unless it's really heavily stocked and fed. As for the 300/450, that's definitely in the L4 range (that's where tank turnover rate comes into play) unless you have a lot of co-filtration or some other "primary" type of filtration, like biopellets + big skimmer, etc - then you might be able to use the L2 as a supplementary or complimentary level of filtration. If you are going for a more "primary" scrubber-based filtration system, then the L4 and maybe the L8 if you want it to be the workhorse of the system.

19. dwayne

dwayne New Member

Please put me down for an L2 and an either and L4 or L8 (L4 if the L8 will be significantly more money, otherwise the L8)

Turbo likes this.
  20. Turbo

Well I'm pretty sure the L8 will be less than twice as much as 2x L4's, but I have no numbers to crunch really. When injection mold dies get bigger, cost goes way up. So I may have to get creative with the parts