1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing the new Turbo Algae Scrubber! (Rev 4)

Discussion in 'Product Information' started by Turbo, Sep 3, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Will do!
    Yes, and I do ship international, I plan to have distributors but that's down on the priority list right now so I'll be shipping direct for a while. I'll add you to the list!

2. sky

sky New Member

Please add me to the list of L2 (Rev 4).
    Thanks

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Will do!

4. Drib3213

Drib3213 New Member

Texas
    Can't wait to try the L2 (rev.4) Desperately needed. Please add me to the waiting list. Thank you!

5. Turbo

I'll add you!

6. aqua-nut

aqua-nut New Member

Please add me to the list for a L2, rev4!

7. Turbo

Will do!

8. armanslr

armanslr New Member

Hello! Can you put me down for an L4?

I know you mentioned Spring 2016. Is that still a good time frame or when do you estimate the L4's will start shipping?

Also, will we receive an email to inform us our item is ready?

Thank you!

9. PJDuck33

PJDuck33 New Member

Ohio
    This sounds like the perfect step in my latest battle with GHA... Can you please put me on the list for an L2? Thanks!

10. Robert

Robert New Member

I too want an L2 L4 but I need the exact dimensions when you get the final product in I seen all the past post just need to make sure I have the room.

11. Turbo

I'll put you down, my plan is to have the L4 and L8 to market by the end of March
    Will do!
    L2 or L4? Or did you mean L2 Rev 4? I know...terms can get confusing!

For dims (L x W x H):

L2: 11 x 6 x 7
    L4: 17 x 6 x 7 (corrected!!)
    L8: 17 x 6 x 11
    L12: 17 x 6 x 15
    L16: 17 x 6 x 19
    L20: 17 x 6 x 23

All of these can be installed with an additional 2" of clearance on the Height dimension. So if you have 13" of space between sump top and stand bottom, you can fit an L8 and maintain it easily without removing the whole unit to clean it - Just the growth chamber

The last 3 are planned because the L4 and larger are upward expansions on the same base parts (hard to explain, it will become clear though)

I haven't decided if I am going to try to make a base size that is longer than 17". If I did it would be 23" and the first size would be L6, then L12, L18, L24, i.e. multiples of 6.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  12. Robert

Robert New Member

Put me down for L2 rev4 sorry for my confusion

Turbo likes this.
  13. Robert

Robert New Member

So Turbo when can I expect to get my hands on one?

14. Turbo

It depends on how many people on the list end up taking one so it's hard to say exactly. Before I start shipping units, I plan to put the list up so you know where you are at

15. Robert

Robert New Member

Thanks can't wait I have a 90gal with the sump about 120gal with a vortex omega 150 and a nice size refuigum not overly stocked so that scrubber should help nicely.

Turbo likes this.
  16. Hallo, I am preparing a quote for a project for a friend of mine, I want to test some new technologies in this expensive 500 liters aquarium, your Algae turf scrubber is one of the novelties that we are very curious to try. One of the main applications in our case will be algae prevention into the main aquarium.
    When approximately will I it be ready for sale ?
    Do you have a link where you explay the differences between the different models ? I would also need if possible to have a quote for the price, because that's what they are asking me.
    I have also opened a discussing thread about the turf scrubbers in general on my favorite site. This could be also a good news for a seller.

17. Turbo

Welcome @lgscrb!

Currently, the first batch of 100 L2s is scheduled to be here late next week. The waiting lists consists of people wanting an L2, L4, L8, or larger. So as far as when an L2 would be available for you specifically, that depends on the demand after this initial run. The second parts run won't be far behind.

The L4 and larger units are in the design phase, and I am shooting for the end of March to get these into production.

The only difference between the units is the size: the larger the unit, the larger the screen and light fixture, which means higher filtration capacity. They are sized based on the amount of food added to the tank each day. L2 = 2 cubes/day, L4 = 4 cubes/day, etc. There is a secondary factor that account for tank volume. Essentially, when a system exceeds about 150-200 gallons (450-600L) then the overall turnover rate of water through the Algae Scrubber typically needs to be higher, and I recommend starting with the L4.

The slot pipe for the L4 and larger units has a slot that is 2x as long as the L2. The L2 slot is 6" long, and the L4+ slot is 12" long. So, 2x the length means you can pump 2x the volume of water through the Algae Scrubber. Higher flow capacity means you can filter a higher volume of water: this is the basis for my recommendation to start with an L4 on large tanks.

I hope that this is all clear, if not, please ask for further clarification!

Thanks!
    Bud

18. Hallo, thanks for the answer, I try to figure out how to place the scrubber inside an ordinary SUMP; a sump where it was not initially planned to put the scrubber. Does it fit inside or outside or both or even other locations around the tank ?

19. Turbo

I would not place the scrubber in a location where it could ever come in contact with water, such as on a shelf below the rim of the sump. The exception to this is when you have carefully calculated the water levels that might occur in the worst case scenario.

Here is my worst-case scenario calculation I use whenever designing a sump:

Start with the normal operating level of the sump
    Add in draw-down of the display tank when the power goes out for a long time
    Add in the volume of your ATO reservoir
    Add 10% fudge factor

This takes care of the scenario where you have an ATO pump stick in the "ON" position right after you fill it, then right after it empties, you have a power outage.

It does not take care of the scenario where you have a large ATO like a 55g Brute or something like that. Which is why I always use a 5 or 10 gallon ATO, to limit this disaster factor. Just as @RickCranium ;)

so if you have this factor figured in and you know your disaster-max water level, you're good to mount the scrubber below the rim of the sump.

Placing the scrubber on top of the sump is simple - just place something under it to support it. I have mounting brackets in production for my new units, but they won't be available for a while (March). You can use wood 1x2s, or PVC pipe with egg crate attached, etc.

This can also be done, you would just have to seal the plumbing by solvent welding the fittings to ensure that you didn't have any leaks.

20. Wally.B

Wally.B New Member

Hi, I have a question about hooking up the scrubber. it is clear that the L2 can be run by a p prooer sized pump.
    Çan the scrubber be plumbed into a return flow? If yes then how is the plumbing done to ensure no back pressure is created and possibly restrict a tanks drain? In my case I would rather use my return pump which is a DC Waveline 10000 and I could T off some of the flow since I generally run it at 30% via apex. It does run variably higher for short periods. However the choice of this oversized pump was for another reason. My tanks main circulation is a Gyre which I run pretty high during the day via a custom mode switcher. At night I turn off the gyre and crank up the return pump since it powers a sea swirl at variable flow rates via apex. This keeps the circulation going for SPS corals, but gives the fish a more gentler environment to sleep. So my point is would it be OK to run the L2 at variable flow rates? The T connector would have a valve and be tuned to meet the minimal requirement for the L2. I would have to play with the variable return flow apex programming to make sure I never exceed the max flow to the L2 via the T off flow. Or is there no max limitation since the drains can handle excess flow? Well there must be a max, but I mean reasonable max. I guess as long as I keep the screen properly wet, variable flow thru L2 should be OK for algae growth. Correct? Or are there things that need to be considered for this kind of hook up? Thanks.