1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is short on off ATS light cycle OK?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Levinson, Nov 12, 2020.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Levinson

Levinson New Member

Hi all, back with another ATS question.
    I'm running a diy ATS (my second diy ATS) and it seems to be working so far.
    Currently, the lights go on and off every 2 hours (2 hours on, 2 hours off). It's been like that since I've set it up. I thought it might also help reduce the heat from the light.
    My question is, does the length of the photoperiod matter? Like, in terms of the nutrient export/growth, or the type of growth, etc.
    I'm fairly happy with the ATS so far but would it work better with the light on and off for longer periods of time? Or would it not really matter so much?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

IMO, it's the cumulative total that matters. You could shut the light on and off once a second. The only time when it really helps to alternate on/off is when you are having a hard time starting up the screen, or when it's a brand new tank with low biodiversity.

3. Levinson

Levinson New Member

Thank you Turbo, it's good to know how I can be more flexible with it.