1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this flow too strong? no growth for 17 days

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dawidmns, Dec 13, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. dawidmns

dawidmns New Member

London
    Hi guys

This is the video when the unit was set up, now it is 17 days later but no growth at all. I have attached some ulva by a rubber band, but it just melted down. My water parameters are quite bad so I thought it will grow even faster.

Is this flow too strong? the light is switched on for about 10-12h.

Regards
    Dawid

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Did you rough up the screen at all?

What kind of lights are you using?

3. dawidmns

dawidmns New Member

London
  4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

As to your original question, no I don't think your flow is too strong. But if that video is what you have for growth after 17 days, something is way off. That screen is bare white.

5. dawidmns

dawidmns New Member

London

this is after 17 days, the bits of algae which are on the screen, these are the ones which I attached by rubber band previously

6. Turbo

I would not try to hold algae on the screen with a rubber band. I would weave it through the holes of the screen.

that screen does not look very rough, that could be a long term issue but you should still get some kind of growth. All I see is a slight coloration.

Generally with a bare plastic canvas roughed-up screen, you should see more growth than this in 3 weeks. But it will still take 4-6 weeks to really get going.

I'm assuming this is a saltwater tank, since you're seeding it with ulva?

The intensity might be too much, but even if that was the case, I would expect to see some growth around the edges - you have nothing at all.

The LED spectrum listed for those light bars is 630 red, that's much more intense than 660 red, which is why I don't recommend using them.

What are your tank conditions?
    "quite bad" is a bit relative...can you provide some more details? As much as you can - even if it doesn't seem pertinent!

7. On my L2 I started seeing diatoms after about 7 days along with very small patches of GHA. After 15 days the screen started to really show GHA growth in the center of the screen. On the 20th day the screen was full of GHA, the edges of the screen were still visible. After about a month my screen was over grown with GHA edge to edge. Now I harvest the screen about every 7 to 10 days. Just wanted to give you an idea of the kind of growth you should have. Also seems to depend on your water quality and scrubber. My L2 kicks ***.