1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joels 55 and L2

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by Joel, Mar 9, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    I have a 55 gallon DT with a 40 gallon sump, it originally had a ghetto DIY overflow/scrubber that was poorly lit and caused water leaks. for the last 6+ months the only filtration I have had is macro algae in my sump lit by a 3' t8 shop light with old 6500k bulbs. My sump is now PACKED with chaeto and calurpa (the 2.5 gallons I removed last week didnt even make a noticable dent), and my DT hair algae is out of control.

I finally cracked down and bought a L2 scrubber, which I recieved yesterday, and I have to say I am VERY impressed by the quality of this. Everything fits together beautifully and its a very nice looking piece. Bud spent a ton of time with me making sure I had everything I needed for my install, and other then an optional piece I had to grab from home depot, it had everything I needed to get it working in the box.

It took me a while to remove my old crappy overflow and replumb a new one in, but I am finally done and this is the result:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video of it running, does the flow look about right?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  2. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    The before pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(one week since glass was cleaned, full whites, half blue, daylight camera setting)

3. Redfish

Redfish Member Customer

Its going to be interesting to watch your thread, if there was ever a tank that needed a Algae Scrubber, this would be it :) Keep us posted with updates.

4. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    Yea..... I say 6 months... It has probably been closer to a year since my screens were lit, and even then it was haphazard. I used a piece of my old screen for the new scrubber, its not really obvious in that pic but it has a fair amount of coraline algae and some green hair algae already growing on it. So hopefully it will take off quickly as long as I dont burn the crap out of it. Its currently just on my display light timer of 12 hours/day....

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  5. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    This was after 11 days of 12/12 light cycle, it was the first time I cleaned it.

20130322_082532.jpg 20130322_082535(0).jpg

6. Redfish

Redfish Member Customer

Dang, never thought I would be jealous of Green Algae growth and after just 11 days, that just ain't fair :)

7. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I really wish I could tell ya exactly how to make that happen. Seen it several times on my units from my customers, but I have no idea how they get it!!

Great growth man!

8. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    I think the growth comes from the fact that the screen I used was already kinda seeded, it was cut from one of my screens, not the one that came with the scrubber, and the fact that my tank has gone so long without nutrient export. The nutrient buildup would explain why business tanks grow scrubber algae so fast some times, but diligent hobbiest's scrubbers seem to take so long to get going.

This is 3 days after the first cleaning:
    [​IMG]

I modified the holding clip a bit, to make it easier to get the screen back in without removing the water suppoly pipe
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My assistant, napping on the job....
    [​IMG]

9. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    Its been a while since I updated this, but my L2 is doing GREAT! I have nothing but good things to say about this!

To give you an idea of how much algae I am removing, this is 4/13:
    20130413_091950.jpg 20130413_092003.jpg 20130413_092013.jpg

4/19:
    20130419_223244.jpg 20130419_224027.jpg

10. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    4/24
    20130424_215727.jpg

The tank now:

20130507_091856.jpg 20130507_091914.jpg

Attached Files:

11. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Awesome!!

Just for everyone, Joel's L2 is a Rev 1.5 of sorts, it's a Rev 1 box and LEDs (on the Heat Sink USA sinks) but his has the hole lowered on the side like the Rev 2 (hence the patch), the top pieces are routed out more, and the LED array is modified to have 2 blues running at 1/2 power, like the Rev 2.

And Joel I didn't comment on your flow in the video on one of the first posts - it looks good, and the results you are getting are great!! Thanks for posting them!

12. Joel

Joel Member Customer

Texas
    It was about 2 weeks ago that I added 18 LEDs (8-660nm reds, 8-460nm, and 2 ~420nm violets all driven at 700mA) to my 40 gallon planted refugium, all it had before was a 2 bulb 4' T8 shop light chopped down to 36" with OLD 6500k bulbs, and at the same time I cleaned out my algae scrubber. I cleaned it again today and it was only abut 1/4 full so I guess either the 18 LEDs I added to the refugium REALLY shifted the balance of growth or I am finally starting to run out of excess nutrients in the tank. I am still growing some bubble algae and short turf like green hair algae in my display, but they seem to have slowed down.

Also when cleaning out the refugium of excess algae I noticed my amphipods had REALLY taken off, I have TONS of those little 1/8" to 1/4" buggers in there, there were several still wriggling on ever rock I took out of the refuge.

13. Turbo

If your scrubber is growing less, then you might consider letting it grow for a bit longer, or just do partial cleanings. Keep an eye on it if you do partial cleanings to make sure it doesn't grow too thick and you end up with die-off.

Glad the battle is on the upslope!

14. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Or remove the fuge altogether.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013