1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a quick vid of my tank running only on Floyd's L2 HF Scrubber

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SillySanj, Feb 15, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. SillySanj

SillySanj Member Customer

Been a while on thought just quickly update on my tank and scrubber only filtration. I've always used Floyd's AS after I gave up on my skimmer and biopearls reactor whilst battling Bryopsis. This was from my original first tank and since I'm so impressed on using the NATURAL filtering technique, I've stuck to it and it's never let me down.

Let me know what you think.

danmgray, Matt Berry and Turbo like this.
  2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Nice looking tank

How are you liking the Gyre? I've got one, I have an Elephant Ear leather that I have been "acclimating" to the flow, had it at 30% for a while, if I go to 40% it gets too loud, I need to get that new silent mag bracket they just came out with.

3. SillySanj

Hey Floyd, same here. If I ramp mines up to 20% it's too loud as my favorite position in my small living room is right beside the tank. Also my mushies tend to get smacked about a bit and decide to move elsewhere and not too easy to view.

I'm hoping the new mag bracket really does keep the noise down or it'll be up for sale and i'll replace it with one of the new quitedrive vortechs instead.

4. Dcrets

Dcrets New Member

Hello all. First post. I also have the Gyre and ordered the Silent Suspension Magnet Mount today. In case you didn't know they lowered the price to $10 with free shipping. Others say it works great.

I'm waiting for Bud to build me an L4. Just waiting for the new boards to come in. Can't wait!

Turbo likes this.
  5. SillySanj

Thanks for the notification.

Just bought 2 x MP10wQD and a Reeflink as Riptide is already sold.
    I need low noise pumps as I sit next to my tank watching TV and snoring away :p

Hoping the new owner will have better use as I could only use the minimum setting on all modes as anything stronger, I have a sand storm.

6. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Your tank looks great! I am seriously considering taking my skimmer off line as soon as the my L2 matures. I feel that the L2 will be able to hold its own and doesn't need a skimmer.

7. SillySanj

Thanks.

Please make sure you take this skimmer offline slowly and also check your parameters!
    All tanks are different so take extra careful steps and monitor as much as you can.

Good luck :)

8. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I'm still a proponent of multiple forms of filtration - combining various forms allows for one to fail or under-perform without potentially endangering the system. The upside is that each part can be smaller - smaller skimmer, smaller amounts of GFO, carbon, etc. For very large tanks, I usually recommend multiple forms of filtration. Smaller tanks can get away with less but you still have that risk, like if a pump dies or a timer goes bad and your lights don't run for days. Or if you do something stupid like forget to plug in your driver for 2 days after cleaning the scrubber. I've never done that though, no, never.

That being said most of my systems are scrubber only and do great. But that's because those systems are ones that I simply don't have the time to maintain. The downside of running a scrubber (or upside, depending on your viewpoint) is that it tends to make you very lazy because you don't have to do much, so you just don't.

9. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Thanks guys. I was reading the old BAR ats thread and someone mentioned that ATS filters can interfere with sps corals. I took it with a grain of salt as I don't really see how. I think they were alluding to the opinion that algae releases some type of chemical that is harmful to sps corals. Any truth to this? Sorry to go OT.

10. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

My understanding is that algae releases organics, which are essentially food to corals. But scrubbers can produce more than what the SPS corals can handle which can negatively affect them. But as long as you have a skimmer you shouldn't have any issues, as skimmers remove organics.

Not sure if the consensus has changed, but Turbo will be able to clarify.

11. Turbo

There is a ton of outdated and incorrect information out there, so you have to be careful.

First, algae can and does engage in forms of chemical warfare. So do corals. Just because there is algae present doesn't necessarily mean it is going to damage your corals. But it can. So can other corals.

A lot of information out there is really old and all the algae scrubber opinions are generally based on the older type of scrubbers, many of which were cleaned in-tank, turning the water yellow. Most of that data is also based on the type of turf algae that is typical for a dump-bucket scrubber, versus GHA which is what we grow. GHA is technically turf in but it is not the turf that the original ATSs were designed to support.

Most people have fond that the best combination for SPS + scrubber includes either a skimmer, carbon, or both. So there is validity to the topic, just don't throw out the scrubber with the PWC water based on old school information.

Garf likes this.
  12. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Sounds good, Bud. I will continue to run my skimmer for now.

13. SillySanj

Still loving my greens!!

greeny.jpg

14. Turbo

Killer growth!

15. SillySanj

Yep.. but for the first time I can see cyno on my sand and LR ... only small patch but hopefully the scrubber will take care of this. Think my blue cheek snuffed it and may have caused some imbalance so lets see if the scrubber takes care of this.

16. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Wow, amazing growth! How long did it take to grow?

17. SillySanj

About 2-3 weeks. I usually harvest when the emergency overflow kicks in - 2-3 weeks.
    If only I could sell this stuff as fools green gold :p

18. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    Badass dude! I hope I can achieve that type of growth!

19. SillySanj

If you can stick to the hours per day ratio and amount of food to feed the algae, you'll get the same :)

20. Maximus

Maximus Member Customer

CA
    How many cubes are you feeding/day? How long is your photo period on the L2?