1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L3 power usage

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by Maverick, Jun 28, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Hiya floyd...As you know I have a l3 scrubber..And its working very well indeed....Just a quick question buddy...How many watts are these pulling???? Cheers Clive

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Well each driver is a Meanwell LPC-35-700. The 35 is the wattage that the driver can push (the actual factory rating is 33.6W). Since it is a constant current driver, that means that it will output the necessary voltage needed to maintain the current, hence the wattage output will vary depending on the number of LEDs it is driving, from 9-48V of total voltage drop across the entire string.

In this case, you're driving 10 red and 2 paralleled blues. The parallel set of blues is only seen as one voltage drop so that's about 3.0V. The deep reds seem to run at about 2.4v so 10 of those is 24, total of 27V drop.

P = I * V so P = 0.700A * 24v = 16.8 W for each fixture. Now if your LEDs were all 'perfect', you actually should be able to run both L3 fixtures off one of these drivers, but nothing is ever perfect and why push a driver to it's absolute maximum limit - that was my philosophy.

As for the power used by the driver (input side) you would have to measure the AC power to see if that actually varies along with the necessary output power. I would think it would, but I guess I don't know for sure.

The input power on the spec is 1.1A @ 115v = 126.5W or 0.7A @ 230v = 161W

Here is the tech spec link http://www.meanwell.com/search/LPC-35/default.htm

3. Ace25

Ace25 Member Trusted Member

LOL, I was thinking this was going to be a quick 'I plugged an L3 into a Kill-A-Watt and it read xx watts', not some long technical answer about LEDs. ;)

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Well here I am, an electrical engineer with no Kill-A-Watt meter. I suck.

5. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

There's gotta be an "L" user out there somewhere with a usage meter. The power companies over here give the meters away as part of their "green" credentials.