1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED Configuration

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by driftin, Aug 22, 2014.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. driftin

driftin New Member

First off, thanks for all the information you've made available here! I'm building a 6x6 scrubber and found a wiring diagram by jfowler for putting two blues in parallel with 12 reds, which I plan to copy.
    https://www.algaescrubbing.com/threads/led-configuration-for-a-2-cube-day-scrubber.360/#post-3511
    [​IMG]

One thing I would like to modify off this design, if possible:

I have a DIY moonlight on the display, which I would like to power from this same driver (LPC-35-700).

The LED's are:
    http://www.unique-leds.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=1618
    3.3 forward voltage
    20mA forward current

I am currently using 6 of them, but could change that if needed. If they are compatible, how could I wire them into the circuit above?

Thanks!

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

If they are only 20mA each x6 that's only 120mA, probably better to wire them up on a separate driver. It would be tricky to wire the scrubber to them.

3. You're going to destroy the 5mm LEDs you've chosen if they can only tolerate 20mA. That driver puts out 700mA.

4. driftin

driftin New Member

Thanks for the replies, I had a feeling it wouldn't work out.

Wired up my scrubber LED's tonight, next step is all the acrylic and plumbing work...

5. ddalgleish

ddalgleish Member Customer

Texas
    If you bought a huge amount of those LEDs (like say 12x35=420 LEDs). You could wire up 35 parallel strands of 12 LEDs. This would split your 700 mA into 20mA per branch (to save your LEDs) and you'd get about 40 volts on each side (which the driver could handle).

It would be a ton of soldering and a lot of frustration if you mess up but it would look pretty awesome! It it would only consume about 30 watts and your light output would be nice and even! :)

6. driftin

driftin New Member

420 moonlights might be a bit... much :)

It took me longer than I expected, but I finished assembling my DIY scrubber. Still have some odds and ends to clean up (shorten a drain pipe, make a new lid) but it went "live" sunday night. I took some pics, need to get them off the camera and post them here.