1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED through acrylic

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by mules, Apr 28, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. mules

mules New Member

I am in the process of building my ats. The question I have is what affect if any is there in shining the light through clear acrylic/plastic. I have the lights pictures and wonder if I should have the glass of the light exposed or I can shine it through the "box" at the screen.

Attached Files:

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Absolutely zero issues with passing light through acrylic! I would run those fixtures for a while (a few hours) and then see how hot the glass gets. Heat, not light, would be your enemy. You might want to ensure that the front face of the fixture isn't too close to the acrylic. It's not a fire concern, but excessive heat over time can cause the acrylic to craze a bit

3. mules

mules New Member

Thank you. That was the answer I was hoping to hear. Makes my design much easier as this will have to be leak proof as an independent unit several feet away.

Turbo likes this.
  4. How did this light work with your ATS? What is the Kelvin of the light?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk