1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lighting upgrade

Discussion in 'Pre-Sales Q&A' started by crashmushroom, Nov 27, 2012.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. crashmushroom

crashmushroom Member Customer

Hey floyd just curious why did you upgrade the lighting on the l2 & did it make a performance difference?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I switched heat sinks for a few reasons. The performance difference, from an algae growth standpoint, it really not that much. The LEDs are the same distance away, but I put in 2 blues and then wired them in parallel so that they are 1/2 the power. The goal was to eliminate a hotspot created by the blue right next to 2 reds in the center of the screen. This also eliminates the need to put a piece of tape or black dot in front of the blue LED to knock down the intensity.

From a standpoint of useability, the Maker's heat sinks protect the LEDs better, there is a place to mount the diffuser, and the thumbscrew on top along with a tab on the bottom of the box hold the heat sink in much more securely. The ability to use fans if desired is there also. The heat sinks are also easier to grab on to, and have fewer sharp edges.

I also liked the fact that I didn't have to drill all kinds of holes for stand-off screws, and the heat sink has thin areas that allow for the use of a grommet in a pass through hole.

3. crashmushroom

If i get an LED go down i may have to upgrade then :)

4. crashmushroom

Just another thought floyd could i change the config of my led's to get my blues at 50% as the center of the screen is slowest to grow.

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yes, if you are handy, you would want another blue, then move them into the centers of the reds and wire them in parallel. With the old L2, I would steal the blue from the other side, then on the other side get 2 matched blues. IIRC you have Osram & Crees, right? Get 2 more RBs and wire them in parallel like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You go into the (+) on the first blue, then wire the other (+) and one of the (-) to the other blue, then out the (-) on the 2nd blue to the next in the series chain. It creates a current divider.

6. crashmushroom

Yeah i wired my display leds on u channel. I think cree i will check. Does it help with the slow filling of the middle of the screen.

7. Turbo

From what I've seen of recent L2 owners (sabbath, ricky) it seems to help. You can still tell that there is a little bit less growth in the middle, but it's much less overpowering than a single blue at full power.

8. crashmushroom

Cool i might give it a go cheers floyd

9. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

Who said i have a dead spot in the middle?

This is two days after cleaning.

[​IMG]

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

10. Turbo

LOL no I was saying that you and sabbath have the new version and as a result are not having dead/burnt spots in the middle! Obviously it doesn't matter much once it's filled in. I think that was a key thing - splitting up the power between 2 blues. BTW how are those sexy black thumbscrews working out?

11. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

What screws?

[​IMG]

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

12. Turbo

The thumbscrews on the top of the box.

BTW everyone this is now known as the Rickster Mod LOL