1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lion-O's Surf2 Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turbo, Dec 30, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

He linked to this thread from Lion-o's thread. That post got deleted and the ban stick came down. So RP has never really been really outwardly negative on SMs site. So I guess that was crossing the line.

I've heard the same from others, and also other takes on it. That's all. Not many negative reviews of it that I recall. Just something to use with caution

2. Rumpy Pumpy

Rumpy Pumpy Member Trusted Member

UK
    What Turbo said.

I'm not bothered in the least. I've always been pretty supportive of SM, and I maintain that he has done more than anyone to promote and develop algae filtration, but once he started banning people for disagreeing with him, he lost me, and when I found that he'd prevented people from PMing on his site. that was it. A shame, but there it is.

Can I have my "banned from Algaescrubbers" badge now?

3. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    The red slime one?

I used that once. Got rid of the red stuff but almost immediately afterwards I started getting nuisance green hair algae everywhere, which took 18 months or so to get rid of by scrubbing.

My advice by the way is to get rid of that Surf thing, which I suspect has limited function as a filter and to build yourself a DIY scrubber using plans from here or the AS site. Pretty much anything that has a rough surface, strong light and water flowing over it will work.

Garf likes this.
  4. Rumpy Pumpy

UK
    Oh yeah, and lots of herbivores help too. I suggest Mexican turbo snails (have to make sure they're the proper ones though, "Turbo fluctuosa") and also a tuxedo urchin or two.

5. Pny

Pny Member

Which of those does the SURF scrubber not fulfill?

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Water flow mainly, IMO. Plus in mine, the only part of the rough surface that gets attachment is right near the top of the water and the strings, the bottom of the box gets no attachment.

No idea about the lights, I'm sure they're strong enough if not possibly too strong for a start (which is why I don't understand why he now offers a 6 LED version) and possibly are cheap LED, I'm pretty sure that he gets them from LEDgroupbuy and they are listed as "exotic" i.e. cheap knock off. But, they're probably close enough, honestly I'm not sure it makes a big hill of beans of difference.

Oh - lion-o:

What photoperiod are you running?

Have you tried splitting it up into shorter, multiple periods?

Have you tried the "nylon" idea? Don't by the way. Just curious if you did.

7. In my experience with various kinds of scrubbers over the last 2 years, a waterfall scrubber works best for a larger system. Yes, the surf type seems to work OK for keeping nitrates under control, but they seem to be limited because of lack of water circulation.

Of course, we are not just growing algae here, but trying to use this method to reduce phosphates and Nitrates in our systems. Sometimes when we measure Nitrate at 0 and Phosphates at 0 we forget that the algae growing in our system [usually the bad stuff we don't want in places we don't want it] are using it up.

The original algae scrubbers were the waterfall type, proven technology. The other stuff does work in systems that have issues with space and so on, but not as well.

I'm currently doing an ongoing experiment using a waterfall scrubber to overcome hair algae in my DT. Not to hijack your thread here, but hopefully the results of that will be useful to everyone here.

I plan on starting a separate discussion on that and posting pics along the way.

8. Rumpy Pumpy

UK

Well, not having tested one, I wouldn't want to pin it down to specifics, but my main contention is that as far as I can see, it doesn't bloody work!

9. lion-o

lion-o New Member

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in response, we went out of town for the long weekend. Hopefully I answer all the questions...

I have several nerite snails, some cerith/nassarius, a tuxedo urchin, and hermit crabs in my display.

For bubbles I have the fusion 700 air pump from JW pet. It's the one that santamonica recommended with the surf scrubber. I feel like his scrubber works it just has not worked for me. And I really don't know why. I got green growth at first, but now just the orange slime (very little green growth does remain however). I was thinking maybe it was a result of not getting enough water flow as well, because there are only the two entrance bubbles and the exit holes. If i put it under the faucet and just run it, it has trouble keeping up with the flow of the faucet.

I have only tried 18 hour and 22 hour photoperiods. I do run it reverse though, so its off when the tank lights are on for a little while, and on while the display lights are off. I have not tried a nylon filter.

I currently am running without the filter media and filter sock for the next 14 days (just did a cleaning). I'll take new pics 14 days from now. I'm thinking the next thing I'll try is reintroduce the filter sock... I don't like the idea of having a filter sock in there, but it did grab a lot of junk and shouldnt be too harmful as long as I clean that sock weekly. Frankly, I think my skimmer kinda sucks because the skimmer on my large tank skims way more skimmate with 0 fish and feedings than my skimmer does in my little elos with 5 fish. So, the sock comes in handy and gets quite brown by the end of the week.

10. Turbo

What photoperiod are you running?

Have you tried splitting it up into shorter, multiple periods?

18/22 hrs/day is too much IMO. Try 9 hrs total in 3 hr blocks until you get green, THEN start increasing total photoperiod and/or combine to a single photoperiod.

DO NOT put on the nylon. Not unless the reduced/split photoperiod does not work. Then if you do, make sure it is a white or 'nude' stocking, not brown or black.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  11. lion-o

lion-o New Member

I have not tried that, but I can try it next :) Right now, its simply on for 19-22 hours , then off for the remainder of the day.

12. Turbo

Back it down to a total of 10-12 hours/day, in 2 photoperiods. I've recommended this to others before and this does tend to work.

13. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

14. Turbo

calling BS. My SURF2 with Fusion air pump, light on around 15-16 hrs/day grows clods of algae on the strings that I cannot easily remove and no minimal algae around the perimeter, meanwhile N and P in the tank are untouched or rising. Harvest after 14 days was less than 10 g for 2 back-to-back growth periods. For the same 2 periods, my L2 forced flow UAS test unit easily grew over 100g squeezed each period.

15. lion-o

lion-o New Member

Not much progress with the current track.

In a 24 hour period, one of my long time corals (blue hawkins echinata http://www.liveaquaria.com/images/categories/product/p-38899-hawkins-echinata.jpg) went from completely blue to completely bleached. This confused me, and I thought it was probably just the algae surrounding it in the tank. However, all the other corals still doing fine.

Just over the last week, a few of my pulsing xenia have started to degrade in health. So I've added back in my filter sock and filter media.

Anyway, going to try the two 6 hour photo periods now and will post new results in a week or two. The surf does have posted on it that you should do smaller photoperiods if the growth is "yellow" so I guess that would apply to me. Wish me luck!

16. Turbo

There are many reasons for RTN (rapid tissue necrosis) so that one is really hard to explain. If you make drastic changes in methodology, this can cause unpredictable issues. Transition time from one method to another is in order. Heck even changing the brand of salt you use can throw things out of whack enough to kill corals. Remember that the ocean is extremely stable, at least short term (i.e. there are no rapid daily/weekly swings in salinity, alkalinity, calcium, etc).

When it comes to a scrubber, IMO, it should always be added, it shouldn't replace something, at least not immediately. It should be allowed to get started and working, and verified that it is doing what it is supposed to do. If other systems have to be 'dialed back' to encourage the scrubber to grow, this should be done appropriately, and positive changes in the scrubber should result. This goes for any scrubber. Or any piece of filtration for that matter

17. lion-o

lion-o New Member

Here are some photo updates. Sorry for the delay, wife decided we should go camping for the long weekend so I did not take pics when I wanted to :)

Pics were taken before and after cleaning (fairly obvious which is which). Growth is still very slimy, but at least it is looking more green to me... Also, fun fact - that starfish was clinging to the bottom of the container. Biggest one I have ever removed from my tank. Felt bad for the little big guy!

Attached Files:

18. Turbo

I never really had to remove mine and clean it because I got pretty much all green, it just wasn't much, and the best harvest was the last one right before the light fixture shorted out, that one was 3 weeks without touching it and the harvest was still only about 10-15g. Not sure why yours is not starting

19. lion-o

lion-o New Member

Originally, I did get all green (that nice forest green color...), but it never grew out. It just remained a thin layer on all the edges and strings.

It probably ran like that a few months. Then I think it went to **** when I went on a 6 week vaca.

20. Turbo

Volume is much more important than color. If you got green but zero volume, then wasn't working.