1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for a Nano driver for 1 to 2 -3W Leds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deva, Dec 4, 2019.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Deva

Deva New Member

Ok so here is the deal. I am building a nano upflow ATS for an AIO reef.
    but I am having a heck of a time finding a driver that can work on such a small load.

my normal go to is the MW LPC 35-700 but it's min. is 9V so 4 leds.

screen will be around .5 cube so not to big at all.

I know the LDD drivers can do that but then you need a crazy power supply not really what I am looking for.

looking for options?
    would the MW ACP 35-700 would on such a small load?
    any simpler options like a power brick or wall wart?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

3. Deva

Deva New Member

I have yes, they dont seem to have anything. I mean I could get the LDD but then you need the silly power supply.
    I know there has to be something out there.

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I guess they used to have a nano driver that was really simple, just a wall wart type plug that you could pretty much direct-wire into an LED - maybe they don't carry that anymore

Shoot them an email and ask, they might have a suggestion. As long as your power supply is constant current and the voltage regulates according to the load, that's all you need. I think whatever they used to carry was an off-the-shelf type item

5. Turbo

6. Deva

Deva New Member

yeah that is pretty much what I am looking for SM has a power brick on his site for 1-2 LEDs. it what he uses for his smaller units.

I did see that but as I am giving this as a gift for the R2R secret santa I want to make sure it dont burn down the guys house..haha

7. Deva

Deva New Member

@Turbo
    something like this should work right? just need on/off
    Power Plug 12V 1.0A

here is the specs on the power supply:
    Voltage input - 100V-240V

Voltage output - 12.0V

Maximum output - 1,000ma

Power mode - Switching, will only produce the power you use - very efficient.

here is the spec sheet on the cree deep red that i will be using:

Forward Voltage (@1000mA) :
    2.42V (Typical)
    Maximum Current :
    1000mA
    Peak Wavelength :
    650-670nm
    Minimum PPF :
    2.3 umol/s
    Minimum Radiant Flux @350mA :
    425mW
    Viewing Angle :
    130°
    Dimensions (starboard) :
    20mm diameter

8. Turbo

I would defer the question to Steve's as they can tell you what their power supply does exactly (they make all my LED boards, very knowledgeable)

Deva likes this.
  9. Deva

Deva New Member

thanks will do!

10. Deva

Deva New Member

@Turbo quick question,
    looking through my fish "stuff" I did find a small rapid led moon driver I got a while back it's it rated for 3W but only 350ma do you think that would work on a small screen .5 cube?

it a upflow style ATS for an AIO reef...
    i think 350Ma might be on the low side but if its ran 15-18H per day would it work?

thanks you good sir!

11. Turbo

Maybe, hard to say since I never messed with it.

12. trivodi

trivodi Member

USA
    Did you make the scrubber? Any pictures? I've used cell phone charger to power up leds, just check the output current, some are over 1000 ma