1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for comments on design w/ pics

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Xtc_link, Feb 13, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

I picked up a scrubber a few weeks ago from a fellow reefer. He wanted to go a different route so I picked it up. And tore it apart :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I replaced the slot pipe. Added a light blocker.

2. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

[​IMG]
    Screen as of today (4 weeks) 45min on 30min off 24/7
    [​IMG]

3. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

8red 2 blue[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

[​IMG]

5. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Active Member Trusted Member

Major improvement on the slot pipe!
    Not sure if that's corrosion/salt creep over one of the LED terminals, but if so, I'd give it a clean up.

6. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

The led driver was replaced last week cause the last one hit the sump. :)

7. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

Also on the wiring should I leave all the LEDs in serial? I'm a concrete guy not a electrician.

8. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Yes, you can really only wire the solderless LEDs in series. The blues at full power (700mA) can overpower the screen and result in small bare spots but you don't seem to be having that issue. Nice build!!

9. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

It keeps the water contained :). There is crazing and bubbles in the seams but I don't plan on it ever holding water, lol

I was hoping you would say I could just cut the wires and run them in series. Any suggestion on a driver/dimmer dial? I'll move them to a separate driver. Also what do I need to make them dimmable? I can't seem to find a dc forward phase dimmer, or I don't know what to look for.

10. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I guess I don't know what you are asking. They are already all in series...??

11. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

I Meant parallel :). I was hoping you would say I could just wire the last two parallel.

12. Turbo

Oh, gotcha. Yes there is a way you could do that, but you would have to kind of hotwire it. I could draw it up for you

13. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

the screen isn't real rough so I might replace it. It doesn't seem to attach well. I trapped algae squares with a net basket over the night. I've got the flow down to a good sheen with no dead spots. I can't see the bottom of the screen. Also my screen could be 1" wider :).

14. Turbo

Who did you get it from? Local guy or online? Are they on any of the forums? The reason I ask is that it looks similar to another one I've seen in another thread elsewhere

15. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

Semi local. We both live in Florida.

16. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Cleaned this thing a few times so far. It looks like this weekly and when I clean it everything comes off. Too clean though! (It looks greenish in the pic but in the sun it looks almost black.) I mean the screen looks white and there is nothing in the little pits and crevices. I try to leave some behind but it washes away when I rinse it off.

17. Turbo

There's a fine line between "really super dark green" and "black". You have the former. true "black" is like a film and has an oily appearance, comes off in flakes, and you have to scrub hard to get it off, and it's a sign of super high nutrients. I had it once on a tank I was trying to "recover" using a scrubber.

The detachment is probably due to some shading on a new screen. The way to overcome this is to do partial cleaning: scrape the screen with the corner of your scraper in a tic-tac-toe pattern on one side, and a criss-cross pattern on the other side. So you let light through to the base on the other side and you will have a mixture of white screen and unscraped screen on both sides, but not concurrently everywhere.

Then rinse the screen off lightly and do not scrub with a brush at all. Put back in operation and let it run longer than 7 days - 10 to 14 days when starting a screen, unless you get detachment. Under LEDs, which have some punch to get through a thin layer of algae, you should not have a problem running 14 days with that type of growth, no problem at all IMO.

18. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

That was prolly closer to 3 weeks of growth. :)

I think I'm going to cut the screen down a bit. Right now it's 6"w x10"h both sides lit. I have a mortar screen I've been seeding. Also I would say two cubes a day is my max feeding currently.

19. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

Introduced velvet when I brought home a wall hammer from reef-a-palooza last month. Lost all large fish. Only a chromis and clown goby made it. So my feeding has been cut way back.

I continue to clean in a criss-cross style. I also cut about 3" off the screen(been wanting to cut it down and seen no reason not to). 6" x7" double sided. The algae is still a short dark green mat. I wonder if I should cut it way down and see what happens.

I've never been able to get a change in the type of algae grown on the screen. Any idea what the limiting factors could be?

20. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

I clean it every 14 days and have never observed detachment.

Also my atman pump started leaking 92v into the system so I've been skimmerless for 1.5 months also.. Now searching for a replacement, lol