1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for comments on design w/ pics

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Xtc_link, Feb 13, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I never asked:

Feeding amount?

Tank size?

Screen size now?

Scrubber lights: current? Hours/day? Distance to screen?

Sucks on the velvet. You got that from a coral you bought? Dang. In general I always dip anything I get from a store or commercial vendor. Anything from a local hobbyist I usually don't unless they seem shady. Had good luck with that.

2. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

Feeding: The past month it's been reef chili. 5scoops few times a week. Before that it was 3-4 cubes a day

150g 33g sump
    6"X 7" screen size now
    8red luxe on, 2 blue cree all connected on one channel. 1.5" -/+ away from the enclosure. 11hrs run time.
    I replaced the original driver with a new meanwell LD016c070LRAP. It says it's dimmable but I'm new to led drivers, lol

3. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

Yea I didn't want to dip the wall hammer. It is of good size and didn't want to torment it and more then necessary. All my fish I get local from stores that treat with copper, or chloroquine.

I made the same mistake last year when I added to clean up crew. A few snails had algae, green turf, red turf... I didn't think much about it and bamb as of 8 months ago. I'm now cultivating several resilient types of algae :)

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

That's not a Meanwell. Not sure what "forward phase dimmable" means

On the reef chili, I've heard the occasional report that it can cause algae issues

I'll have to look up the numbers later on lights vs screw size vs tank size

5. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

Correct. I replaced the meanwell that went swimming.. Good catch

6. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

I placed a eBay DC-DC buck converter between the driver and the LEDs this morning. It allows me to dim them. I only tested it for a few seconds but it dims them none the less. I have to do more reading, this is far from my expertise of concrete finishing :)