1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Luis's L2 & Tanks

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by Turbo, Jan 5, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Starting a thread on behalf of one of my clients who routinely sends me pics via phone. His growth is great and he's trying some different techniques. He started out with a scrubber that came with the setup he was running but it was struggling to grow algae, and tank algae was taking over. He purchased one of the original (Rev 1) L2's and get great growth right off the bat by cutting up his old screen into strips and securing it to the new screen. After a few weeks he took the old strips off and his growth has been nothing short of phenomenal since then.

He transferred everything to a new, larger setup and added a skimmer and biopellet reactor about a month ago, I think. So this is a good example of how to run a multi-tiered filtration system using smaller than recommended sized filtration systems which add up and work together. There are still questions about whether this works well or not so well, because as most people know, when you radically change too many things, you can have problems no matter what you do. By radically change, I mean moving everything from one system to another which involves removing rock from the water and exposing it to air and changing the flow patterns, both of which mess up the periphyton (sponges, bacteria) and then switching from scrubber-only to multiple filtration, and probably changing lights or at least intensity/coverage of lights due to the tank change.

But regardless of all of that - his scrubber growth is something to envy. I should note that he puts a ton of flow through - well over 400 GPH. I believe he feeds direct from overflow now, and says he thinks it is >500 GPH.

So here are pics starting with September 2012

9/8 5 days growth (from bare screen, with strips from old screen)

[​IMG]

9/9 6 days

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9/12 3 days after 1st cleaning

[​IMG]

9/15 6 days growth

[​IMG]

9/16 7 days growth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9/22 Week 3 Day 5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9/23 2 day after cleaning

[​IMG]

10/2 cleaning - week 4

[​IMG]

He is still, after this growth, having tank algae issues (before tank change)

10/7

[​IMG]

11/17 harvest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

11/21 pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had been working with him to figure out what is causing this - testing, light times, cycles, etc. I've seen other examples of tanks leeching and figured this was what it was. It was getting better, going through various stages. Sounded to me like the tank was re-balancing and algae was taking hold. This tends to happen when the system is not long-term stable.

About that time (end of November to mid December) he changed tanks. Here is the new tank as of 12/22, which I believe is a 180

[​IMG]

Filtration pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12/22 harvest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12/29 harvest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Turbo

1/5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the last pic, you can see what he's noticing now - it appears to be die-off in the lower layers of growth. He noticed this last week. I told him to either up the light hours on the scrubber, or remove the diffusers. He is going to remove the diffusers. My thought is that he needs deeper penetration to the lower layers when getting this thick of growth.

Hopefully Luis will join the site and make a few comments about his setup and what he has experienced and also I invite anyone to comment!

4. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

Looks like he may benefit from cleaning just one side at a time, to get the light to the screen mid cycle.

5. data_loss

data_loss New Member Customer

Wish I had growth like that :cool:

I have screen envy!

6. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

I agree with Garf. I would try cleaning one side at a time and leave the lights alone. Maybe the growth changed because the DT has less algae die off?

7. wgraham

wgraham New Member

Luis is a friend of mines as I live around the corner from him. He and I started a tank around the same time. He started his current tank a 185 and I started a 300 gallon

8. wgraham

wgraham New Member

I also have a scrubber but its a SM100 clone with LED's and a reef octopus TDNW300 that I took of line today as on my last tank a 135 all I ran was a scrubber and I going back to that. I have had no problems with my tank as you can see form some pics. IMG_1080.jpg IMG_1081.jpg IMG_1082.jpg
    Just want to see if there will be any problems without it.

9. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

Ok the tank has some chages I took the scrubber off line and went full dose on biopellets but will be installing 2 l2's here shortly my main deal is I be using the bio pellets to control all the nitrates and some of the phosphates and the scrubber to control the the remaining phosphates.

10. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

After this tank I eded up setting up a 135 which I ran the l2 and swc skimmer and dr tim pellets. I got out if the hobby for a bit but now I'm back with a new tank a 30 gallon rimless which I posted a new build thread. Hers is the old 135
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk