1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marty's L2 Scrubber on a 54 gallon corner tank

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by pitzenmj, Feb 23, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. pitzenmj

pitzenmj New Member Customer

Hey guys,

I wanted to use this thread to document my first dive into an ATS. I'm currently running the scrubber for 2 hours on and 2 hours off for a total of 10 hours. Flow is turned back to about 60% on a rio 1100. As of today, my Nitrate is 0 and my phoshpate is .042. Hopefully these will be "Before" pictures
    IMG_0905.jpg IMG_0903.jpg IMG_0907.jpg

Here's some pictures of the setup, you can see why the skimmer had to come out.
    IMG_0910.jpg

Attached Files:

2. pitzenmj

I had a little trouble getting the pictures on, so let me know if they're better as attached thumbnails or inline with the text. I had more I tried to put in the text, but it kept freezing during upload.

3. crashmushroom

crashmushroom Member Customer

Pics worked fine man. Let the scrubbin begin :)

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Lookin good Marty. How much time did it take for that growth shown in the thumb?

5. pitzenmj

Hey Bud, That's just the first week. I did a light rinse in tap water and cleaned out the slot and put it back in. still running for 2 hours on, one off for a total of 10 hours. How long should I wait for the next cleaning?

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I would do what you did, just remove screen to clean slot at 7 days, and very light rinse. Also you can increase the flow as you are getting good initial growth.

7. pitzenmj

sounds good, its at around 75%-80% right now. should I crank the flow all the way to 100%?

8. Turbo

Yeah, you probably could. Try it and see how it goes. You already have a pretty low nutrient system so it should start getting some green pretty soon

9. pitzenmj

so, on second look, I was dialed down to about 35%-40% of flow on the rio. I increased it this morning to closer to 75%-80%. I'll keep you posted on changes in growth.

10. pitzenmj

Here is my Week 2 update. Lightly rubbed with fingers again and rinsed. cleaned the PVC slot as well. The algae in the display is still growing like crazy, so I haven't given up my weekly harvest there, but I have seen that it takes longer for the algae to build on the glass.
    IMG_0930.jpg

11. Turbo

Keep pruning the DT algae back. Since you have essentially algae filtration occurring in there, the scrubber might take a little longer to outcompete it. It is just a function of how well the algae can grow on the screen with available nutrients. It looks like you have a good base of growth started. I would combine the photoperiods into one long period of 10 hours.

12. pitzenmj

okay, The lights now turn on at 9pm and off at 8am in one long photo period. what is the key to know if I need longer or shorter, and how many hours does a mature screen normally end up at?

13. Turbo

Oh, I wish I knew the answer to that question!! Each tank is always different, so you just have to get through the curing period first, then tune it to the optimal range after that.

Getting the screen to grow at all is the first step. With LEDs, which are much more intense and can cause photoinhibition, this usually means breaking up the photoperiod until you get a screen with some kind of growth and no bare spots, specifically in the middle. Once that is accomplished, you can run one solid photoperiod for as long as the screen can handle without burning off algae and turning the screen white. This is subjective based on bioload - a heavily loaded tank with reasonably low nutrients will cure up very fast and you can throw a long photoperiod at it. A screen on a low nutrient tank or lightly fed system will burn off white if you run the lights at 18 hours/day.

For reference, my personal tank had a UAS on it and I had to move that to a temp tank which is holding fish for another system, but had no filtration. So I started an L2 on my personal tank, from scratch. I have no timer on the light so I just unplug it when I get home if I remember and plug it back in before bed. I have left it running for 36 hours straight at times, and others only 12 hours/day, but generally I leave it plugged in 18 hours/day. After about 10 days the screen is covered in brown goo. My nutrients started at about N=30-40 and P=0.50, and it jumped up over the week after pulling off the UAS as there was no cured scrubber, so it's more like 50 and 0.8 now, so I'm throwing a ton of light and flow at it, and I'm already seeing bits of green (from a bare screen).

You have 11 hours on time right now and I would leave it at that and monitor your growth. If it helps you to track it, take pics daily and look at them one after the other to see the progression. Try to just leave it alone as much as possible for the first few weeks. If you don't notice an improvement in progression of growth from week to week, then monkey with it.

14. Redfish

Redfish Member Customer

For not knowing the answer Bud :) thats a pretty good answer.

15. pitzenmj

Okay guys,

Here are theweek three growth pictures. I'm amazed at how much more growth i'm getting already. I'm not sure if it's from the combined photo period of 11 hours, or just the screen maturing, but either way, this is going so much better than my HOG .5 UAS experiment, I couldn't be happier. I turned the flow all the way up this morning, since the algae I cleaned off I really had to scrape at with a credit card to get off. It's also pretty dark algae, so I'm not sure if I should increase my photo period, or if I should just run with the higher flow this week so i'm not changing too much stuff at once. I'm open to suggestions.

IMG_0937.jpg

16. Turbo

yep higher flow for now, and see what happens. it likely is a combination of combined photoperiod and screen maturing.

17. pitzenmj

Okay guys, here is the pictures from week 4. A LOT more growth this week. I took a picture of both sides since the colouration was so different on each side. The differences from week 3 to week 4 was higher flow (60% increased to 75%) and two more hours of light to get up to 13 hours on in one block. Since cleaning the screen (which was just scraping with a credit card and rinsing, and cloeaning the slot portion with a tooth brush) I've increased the flow to 85%. I think that is as high as I'll ever run the flow as any more and it's noisier than I want to have in that room. Any thoughts on lights? increase or decrease? Oh, and my nitrates are still undetectable, and phosphate is running a little bit higher at .06132.

IMG_0947.jpg

okay, scratch that, I can only get one of the pictures to upload. but the other side is the same density of growth, but it doesn't have the light part in the middle, its all the same dense color that you see on the sides of this photo.

18. pitzenmj

IMG_0948.jpg
    Okay, it's working better today. Here is the other side of the screen, still from week 4.

19. Turbo

When you say it's noisier than you want, how so? I know you didn't get any add-on kits, since you had your own stuff laying around. You should be able to tune the drain to silent. A few questions:

Where is the noise coming from?
    Bottom drain or side drain?
    What kind of noise is it, constant or intermittent, like a recurring flushing noise?
    What valve is on the drain, a ball valve or gate valve?

20. pitzenmj

Hey Floyd,

its the sound of running water in the box itself. like the splashing as the water comes off the screen and hits the water above the false bottom. Maybe the problem is that I don't have it tuned properly. Yeah, I have the ball valve on it, and the drain itself is silent, but I'm probably not able to tune it as sensitivley because of the ball valve I used.