1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mesh?

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by semiroundel, Mar 31, 2020.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. semiroundel

semiroundel New Member

Hi all, I live in UK and am wondering what mesh people use, especially interested if you live here, as the name/make will be more relevant to me.
    Many thanks

2. semiroundel

semiroundel New Member

Please...anyone? I can't build my scrubber if I don't have the mesh

3. semiroundel

semiroundel New Member

So, no-one's built a DIY scrubber in the UK?

4. Pny

Pny Member

I'm in Europe, but not in the UK... I think you should be able to get "Darice" 7 count Plastic Canvas in your country. Google it, or check your ebay.

5. semiroundel

semiroundel New Member

Many thanks pny, I can now look.

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Sorry, busy week - shifted over my efforts to making face shields

Thanks @Pny for chiming in

7. semiroundel

semiroundel New Member

Yes thanks, I've ordered two darice#7, one says darice ultra hard, and the other is just darice.
    I haven't got the room to put two sets of led's, just one, so I'll construct the box to have a mirrored back to try and get some light to go round the back.
    If I've got six 660 nm led's, should I add a couple of violet?

8. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

the ultra stiff, IMO, is no better. It's more difficult to rough up, I like the regular stuff

If you want to

9. semiroundel

semiroundel New Member

Thanks turbo, is it beneficial? I figure on having a net of about 300mm x 200mm, maybe I should just get two more red?

10. Turbo

Add either, I think the benefit is about the same. I wire up the violets in parallel with each other, then put that parallel pair in series with the string of reds so that the current is equally split between the 2 violets so they only run at half power

11. semiroundel

semiroundel New Member

Thanks Turbo, do the violets have a certain frequency like the reds are 660nm?
    Also, if I add the two violets in parallel, but in series with the reds, am I right in saying I factor the current as if I only had one violet?
    TIA

12. Turbo

Oops sorry man I missed this post. For violets, look for "hyper violet" which is typically 410-420 nm

13. semiroundel

semiroundel New Member

Thanks Turbo, I've already ordred, I think they're 415-420nm