1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Filtration Lighting Equipment My ATS for my 90 gallon build/critique

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joleobee, Jun 15, 2018.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. joleobee

joleobee New Member

Hello, new to these forums, just been reading about scrubbers, decided I wanted one for my 90 gallon fish only tank. Also wanted to put my design skills to use, so I came up with this:
    Designed up in CAD, the box is made from acrylic. The blue pieces are to hold the LEDs in place and will be 3D printed.
    [​IMG]
    Testing the LEDs, 10-660nm, and 2 Royal BLues
    [​IMG]

3D printer and 3D printed LED light boxes
    [​IMG]

Screen is a 4x6" screen 6 3w LEDs per side powered by a LPC-35-700 meanwell driver. Water will be fed with a Quiet One Lifeguard pump, which should do enough GPH for the 4x6" screen. If i did my research right, it should be enough for a 2 cube/day tank. I'll post more pics as I build it. Comments/Suggestions?

Soxedace likes this.
  2. lovefish77

lovefish77 Member Trusted Member

looks impressive, but 4x6 is a bit small for a 90 gallon system. Turbo should weigh in he is the expert

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

It's not about the size of the screen so much as it is the amount of feeding. I regularly recommend 4x6 (that's the L2 screen size) for a 90g system.

My main question is about the heat sinks, I don't see those anywhere in the pics, what are you using @joleobee?

4. joleobee

joleobee New Member

Turbo likes this.
  5. Soxedace

Soxedace New Member

a 4x6in screen is 24 in^2, 4x6in exposed screen lit from both sides is 48in^2, for some reason I thought 2 cube was 12in^2 lit from both sides or 24in^2 from one side?

6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

You are correct

The feeding-based sizing rule is 12 sq in (length x width, not surface area) lit on both sides. Effectively, this is 24 sq in of surface area, but using both terms (size and surface area) generally leads to confusion at some point, so I leave surface area out of the discussion. Also, a single-sided screen does not equal the scrubbing power of 1/2 of a double-sided screen of the same size.

Soxedace likes this.
  7. Soxedace

Soxedace New Member

joleobee where are you sourcing your acrylic?

8. joleobee

joleobee New Member

9. joleobee

joleobee New Member

Update: Built the unit last week and has been running for a week now. Already got some greenish slime i rinsed off after a week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does this mean its working correctly?

Turbo likes this.
  10. Soxedace

Soxedace New Member

looks great! what method did you use to weld your acrylic together? cant wait to get mine running... soonish hopefully

11. joleobee

joleobee New Member

Weld on #4 and some clamps, pretty easy to work with. Stuff sets pretty quick and cures fast.