1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My DIY design

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by BH750, Feb 2, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. I want to post my DIY here but had some questions on design.

First man did I over estimate my feeding load. Tonight I actually measured how much I feed (pellets mainly) and was shocked it only comes out to about 1 cube per day. I'm still planning to add more livestock so eventually will be in the 1.5-2 cubes a day.

But for now sizing for 1 cube would be a 4x3 sized screen right? I'll have more than enough flow available.

My big question is these LEDs I want to buy. I was planning on buying these when I thought my feeding load was much higher. Still I like them and figured I could use them if and when my feeding goes up to 2 or More cubes. Is one of these lights on each side of a 4x3 screen overkill?

Amazon.com : ZITRADES 20W Hydroponic Plant Flood LED Grow Lights Blue 460nm Red 630nm Bulb Lamp Lighting : Patio, Lawn & Garden

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

That light might work, but 620-630 nm is standard red, ideally you want 660 or Deep Red. The light does seem a bit big though for a 4x3 screen, but might work well for a 6x6

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Oh also it's 20W but those are 1W LEDs, probably driven at 700mA or less, so that's actually more like 14W actually, and with driver loss, probably 10W of actual LED output, maybe less.

Still, with a 36 sq in screen, with one on each side, you're at nearly 0.5 W / sq in on each side, so you're in the ballpark with that fixture. For a 3x4 screen, even better

4. - Ah, I missed that. There seems to be so many options out there I can't decide. I'm brand new to these LEDs and am lost. Are you able to recommend a good, pre-built set of LEDs that would work for me here? Sounds like a 20W fixture is in range. Something on Amazon maybe?

- Ok so learning here.... driven at 700mA is basically 70% of actual wattage? so 20W x .7 gives me the 14W?

- What IS a driver? I see you mention it alot. Is that sort of a booster to get the most potential out of the light? If so sounds like I may not need it to start but something I can add later?

Yea I'm thinking 1-2 cubes per day, so 12-24sq inches so a 3x3 or 4x4 screen roughly.

Finally, last question (for now) I just asked this on RC, but what size (width) PVC pipe is generally used for the main waterfall piece that the canvas fits into? 1"? 3/4"?

5. Turbo

A driver is kind of a generic term for an LED light power source. Technically it is a constant current power supply. People will lump all forms of LED power supplies into the term "driver" even though not all of them are the same. You have constant current (voltage varies depending on the load), constant voltage (current varies depending on load), mixed (voltage and current both vary), etc.

For DIYers, 99.999995% of the time you want a CC (constant current) driver. This is because an LED is designed to operate with a specific output based on the current you push through it (or "drive"through it = "driver"). The voltage, at that current, will drop across the LED. You can see this by placing a voltmeter across while it's on. Add up all the LEDs in the series string and you have an overall voltage drop. As long as this voltage drop doesn't exceed the rated maximum of the driver, you're good to go.

The formula for power is P = I * V, or Power (Watts) = Current (Amps) * Voltage (Volts). If you have a "3W" Deep Red that has a voltage drop of 2.3V across it when you drive it with 700mA (or 0.7A) then P = 2.3 * 0.7 = 1.61 W. Note, 1.61W does not equal 3W.

You have it correct but that's just because of the specific mathematical case so I want to be clear:

If you have 20 LEDS and you are saying their power output is 1W each, the assumption (the manufacturer's marketing department is making) is that each LED is actually putting out 1W of power, when they are likely actually not. So I threw in a factor of 0.7 as an estimate, which just happens to match 700mA = 0.7A.....so I see how you came to that conclusion but that's not what I meant, sorry to confuse you (even though you didn't know you were confused)

That 0.7 factor comes from the fact that most regular LEDs (white, blue) usually max out much higher than 700mA, usually 1300 or 1500mA, so a lot of people drive them at 1000mA. So the 70% factor is kind of an assumption that the "1W" power rating that manufacturers give an LED is based on when LEDs originally actually consumed that much wattage to get a certain output, and since efficiencies have gone way up, they didn't want to re-label all 3W LED as 1.6W LEDs because people would think they were making a lower grade product, when it's actually better. So throwing a 70% factor on the overall fixture "rating" makes it closer to realistic, for use on scrubbers that is. Marketing, pfffffft

6. Turbo

You can use 1", I use 3/4", any bigger and there's not much benefit IMO

7. vereecjw

vereecjw New Member

One thought on the feeding levels you mention...

I am nowhere near turbo, so he can absolutely give my suggestion a smack down here.

I feed my system throughout the day to the level of my scrubber. I find my fish appear happier eating throughout the day.

So if I had a 3 cube scrubber, and a pair of clowns, I would break up the feedings throughout the "on light" period, assume 12 hours.
    Personally I would do 1/4 of a cube every hour. You can build an auto feeder for this really easily. Obviously this is way over the need. Clean up crew that is stable (not huge) is important.

I actually tested this and ended up with an awesome clown harem as my clowns went breeding crazy.

Also, my kids and their friends enjoy feeding my different tanks. Because the filtration is set so high, overfeeding has not been an issue and makes it more entertaining a hobby.

From my personal observations, all of my current fish do better in this continual feeding mode.

8. - Ah, ok. Yikes, not as simple as I thought. And more of a reason to purchase a pre-made.

- Ok, I'll stick with 1" since that's what I'm tee-ing off my main pump with.

- thanks for that. I think I'm following what you're saying. Would love to be able to support that kind of feeding with a really efficient ATS. And also agree that fish might be even happier with feedings spread out. hhmmm.

9. Ok I think I'm ready to build. Hardest part (besides the planning) is of course cutting the slot. I went back and forth with a couple different approaches then went with the table saw approach. Removed the protector and, very carefully, with a long piece of 1" PVC, lowered it down onto the saw blade. It worked perfectly. Only thing was I had to finish off the ends a bit (b/c of the circular action). But in a few seconds I have what appears to be a perfectly straight line. I have the pipes and believe I know how to plumb in. So I'm gonna start the build while I order my lights.

My screen size is 4.5 in x 4.5 in.

For my lights, what are your thoughts on these? I know a little big for my screen and needs but my plan is to use these as my bioload grows.

GLW Led Grow Light 20 Watt, Waterproof Flood Lights Fixture for Plant Hydroponic Garden Greenhouse Red Blue 20 Leds Black Think Case - - Amazon.com

10. So I've found 3 light systems all of which look like the meet my needs but with varying prices:

This one is in the middle and has a 1 year warranty and lots of good reviews:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3NV637WPQ79RC

This one is the least expensive but maybe too cheaply made? so hard to tell:
    GLW Led Grow Light 20 Watt, Waterproof Flood Lights Fixture for Plant Hydroponic Garden Greenhouse Red Blue 20 Leds Black Think Case - - Amazon.com

And this one is the most expensive of the 3:
    Amazon.com : LJY Hydroponics Red Blue LED Plant Growing Floodlight Lamp IP65 Waterproof AC 85-265V (20W) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Can anyone tell the difference between the 3?

11. Dave Snider

Dave Snider New Member

12. Turbo

Those look pretty decent to me

13. vereecjw

vereecjw New Member

Turbo,

Could I throw out a suggestion?
    A separate forum where individual topics are retail lights.

We could ask participants to include progress, and results.

14. Turbo

That's a good idea, I have a uber busy day today but I'll see when I can get to that

15. Dave Snider

Dave Snider New Member

Okay - I bought two of these lights and received them yesterday. I built a waterfall style ATS this past week and got it online yesterday. I'll put together a new thread soon and post my successes/failures. Hopefully more of the former ☺

Turbo likes this.
  16. Turbo