1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My DIY, PVC ATS w/ LED's

Discussion in 'Algae Scrubber DIY' started by Dave Snider, Feb 25, 2016.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Dave Snider

Dave Snider New Member

Thanks! That is great to hear someone else is using this PVC product in their tank with no issues. I'm glad you shared that.

2. trivodi

trivodi Member

USA
    that PVC Wood is a clever idea

3. Xtc_link

Xtc_link New Member

I've talked with the people from azek and was told the product is totally inert and food safe. BUT they won't say it's reef safe :). I asked why, they said "cause it floats"

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I'm not sure what floating has to do with it :p

Xtc_link likes this.
  5. Dave Snider

Dave Snider New Member

My ATS is still going strong. I made a new slot pipe two weeks ago because the flow was uneven. This time I paid a little more attention to make sure the cut was straight and the width was an even 3 mm.

I upgraded my return pump a month ago and the overall flow increased (a little). But this exasperated the preferential flow issue and made the ATS noisy as the water was splashing out the end, rather than streaming down the screen. I'm glad I fixed this because it is quieter now, the flow is more even, and the growth has increased. This is 2 weeks growth.
    20160531_185215.jpg
    20160531_185245.jpg

Turbo and Xtc_link like this.
  6. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

7. Dave Snider

Dave Snider New Member

Yep all is well. My last post with pictures was 2 weeks ago. I cleaned the screen 4 days ago and removed a fair bit of algae.

8. Jazmyne

Jazmyne New Member

Curious how your display tank is doing. Seen any changes/improvements in algae growth there?

Thanks for posting your build!

9. Dave Snider

Dave Snider New Member

Overall, the introduction of the ATS has helped reduce the amount of algae growing in the display tank. There was hardly any algae growing for a while. Recently, some red algae began growing on a few parts (not dinoflagellates), but this seems to dissipating a bit now. Regardless, I'm glad I put the ATS in. It is quite rewarding to scrape the algae off the screen and flush it down the toilet every 2 weeks.