1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My newest L4 ATS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tom39, Nov 11, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. I didn't make the ones for this ATS but If I remember correctly the ones I made for my prior ATS a few years ago, I made them out of a 3/4" coupler. I just cut 2 - 1/4" slices from the coupler which made a ring. I then removed a 1/4" section from the ring, sanded the edges smooth and spread it apart until it slid over the pipe. Really wasn't much to it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Part of the growth process is the 3D effect that you get with an enclosed growth chamber and a false bottom. So you actually want the growth to start "piling up" on top of the false bottom. Algae should attach to the false bottom, as well as the acrylic. For that reason, I don't aggressively clean the acrylic or the false bottom - I let coraline algae build up (or rather, I don't scrape it off) and just remove the algae that attaches with a pass of a plastic scraper and maybe a toothbrush. If you're having issue with that growth detaching, I could see that not being desirable.

Shading that area might actually make it worse.

@tom39 is correct. I use a 3/4" coupler and slice off a very thin piece, then I cut 1/4 of the ring away (I cut 25%, not 1/4") using a wire cutter, then sand the tips round and snap it over. Works great, the trick is getting the ring cut thin enough - if you want it to pass through a square cutout on the mesh. I cut a single "+" cross member out of the screen, to make that small of a ring using a table saw or chop saw is a bit hairy. You can cut it using a hacksaw which is a bit safer, then sand it to the thickness you need.