1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Observations after a year of scrubbing.

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by Ricky, Feb 2, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

you said run carbon at the same time your scrubber is on.. why not run it with the skimmer?

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

oops now I see it. I meant along with the skimmer, not the scrubber.

I'll fix that

3. sabbath

sabbath Member Trusted Member Customer

So turbo are you saying to turn off the carbon reactor? Can you do that? Won't the bacteria in there go bad after a while?

Sent from my mobile

Don

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Well carbon isn't meant to be a substrate for bacteria, but I suppose it would end up being so. I guess carbon is 24/7 then?

5. sabbath

I have read in the chemistry forums on RC that carbon is mostly a biological filter after a week. And if you turn off the filter they get into some kind of aerobic and anaerobic type of talk that is way above my noggin. But I think that they saying it is bad to stop the flow for too long. Garf or some body hopefully will chime in on this.

Sent from my mobile

Don

6. Turbo

Sounds logical. I guess I don't know anyone that runs carbon intermittently anyways. 24/7 or not at all then

7. Ricky

dont ditch the idea tho..

I can see carbon going bad quickly if not run with skimmer, it would absorb more docs generated by the scrubber at night.

but really the bacteria population would not be allowed to grow to much if its only run 8 hrs.. so if there is any death everyday I cant see it being that much really.

8. Turbo

Another thought here. If the scrubber and skimmer are not run concurrently, do we lose the aeration factor from the skimmer providing a benefit to the scrubber? Meaning, if we put the scrubber pump near the skimmer outlet with the intention of using the aerated water to feed to the scrubber, but the skimmer is not running, what good is it? Is it simply good enough to have the skimmer running part time to aerate the total water volume, then have the scrubber use it up?

What if the skimmer could be operated 24/7, but the air inlet could be controlled such that it would skim with full air input, but would only aerate the water during a non-skimming timeframe?

9. sabbath

Maybe add a solenoid with a tee on the air inlet somehow. Then when the solenoid is open the skimmer is getting the most air and starts skimming?

10. Turbo

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Maybe a dual-air inlet, one small one that is always open and one larger one on solenoid control.

11. Ricky

no way, when the solenoid shuts the skimmer will overflow. assuming most of us have gate valves to adjust height.

have a skimmer chamber that gets fed part timeis my solution, but then the water gets cold.. lol

imma put bubbles on the screen to fix the alk issue and rhen run skimmer part time.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  12. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

I've had a strange few days. On one hand I know that screen aeration is good for algae and the growth and reduction of ALK consumption. On the other hand recent information suggests that pH increase localised to the photosynthesising screen is actually precipitating phosphate as calcium phosphate on and in the screen (above pH 8.5). It's suggested that this is the primary phosphate reduction mechanism. This high pH would also increase ALK consumption but if I threw a spoon full of bicarbonate in the tank with the knowledge that I had removed a similar amount of extra phosphate, I think I would remain happy. Currently testing this theory. There may also be another complication. If calcium is being bound by phosphate and precipitated under high pH, then the competition from DOC may partially inhibit its effect. Hence the reduction of DOC may increase phosphate precipitation. Hopefully someone more qualified will put me out of my misery :)

13. Ricky

Where did we end up with this garf

14. Garf

I couldn't maintain a high pH on the screen without adding kalk, when the growth was thick. It was like the algae underneath the top layer was resipiring more CO2 than the upper (lit) layers were consuming, or perhaps the extra DOC was being consumed by bacteria which produce CO2. I think for the phosphate precipitation to occur, scrubbers need to be larger (huge) and run thinner to maintain lighting down to the screen. Needless to say, without any noticeable or testable improvement, I gave up.

15. Ricky

I gotcha.. Well I still sustain you will need some other type of chemical filtration if you want your water to look pristine..

Id like to test Ace's theory that with running carbon and scrubber you should be able to achieve the same results.. but I'm worried about disolved O2. @Ace25

16. Ace25

Ace25 Member Trusted Member

I am guessing your concern is lack of dissolved O2, not too much o2? It is very difficult to have too much O2, even with an ozone generator.

Carbon will certainly make the water crystal clear when used with a scrubber. My biggest issue with that route though is cost. When I tried that method for about a year I was going through $40 worth of Rox carbon a month. I think finding a proper balance with bacteria will also accomplish the same goal for a fraction of the cost, if we could figure out exactly how to achieve that balance.

17. Ricky

Yea thats what i thought gac would get depleted fast. It just sounds like the best route is to run skimmer in first chamber of sump. Gac second. Then scrubber then ret pump. That would keep the carbon good longer.

Have u guys tried kneading the bag? I used to do it when doing zeo and seemed to last longer.

18. Garf

UVB is supposed to break down humic substances quickly into more bacterially digestable forms (or so ive read). Its supposed to form 60% of natural reduction through sunlight UVB. Perhaps a desert reptile UVB lamp over a small recirculating sump section (or small tank) would do something to avoid GAC. Just a thought ;)

19. Ricky

Whats UVB.. Ultra Violet light?

20. Garf

Yeah, but not as damaging as UVC(in sterilisers)

Trying to find the stuff about it.

Apparently the carbon is released as CO2, which is interesting

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013