1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Observations after a year of scrubbing.

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by Ricky, Feb 2, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

Ok guys what about running a wood airstone zip tied to the inlet of the return pump with a timer that turns one every hour for 2 minutes so that the pump sucks the bubbles and blows them all over the display which will aerate the tank and also will act like a surge for sps which will slime them up just like in the wild when the surge blast the sps reefs this keeps them healthy and also by letting them slime up every hour makes them fight off parasite like worms and redbugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Not sure if microbubbles would qualify as a replacement for or mimic of a surge/wave. Also I don't know anything about the connection between SPS sliming and surges and health. So I guess I have nothing to add but questions!!

3. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

Floyd their is tons of micro bubbles on the reefs people tend to dislike them due to eye sore but if you go scuba dive close to a high surge area were most sps are you would see tons of micro bubbles. Slime is the number one defense for sps to fight parasite

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I understand that mircobubbles are present (and not dangerous) in a ocean reef because of wave action but the does not mean that introducing microbubbles in the absence of wave action is the same as microbubbles created by wave action. I would think that it's the wave action that is doing something, not the microbubbles.

5. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

My main deal was if you want to introduce air ration without a skimmer on a scrubber only set up that would work and also have the other added benefit

6. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

Here is a video of what I'm talking about

7. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

There's quite a few people doing this already
    For sps tanks

8. Turbo

Huh. Who knew. Well I guess you could do it, why not? Is there actual science behind this or is it just anecdotal?

FYI, I already inadvertently do this on my tank. My scrubber is top of tank and when the water level gets too low, the pump sucks air and fills the tank with a cloud of bubbles. This usually happens at 5:30am, prompting me to get up, top off the tank, go to the bathroom, then back to bed.

9. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

Lol nice. The guys that being doing it have all the info in this I will have to dig it up but if you look at the video when the air pump stops you can see that the power heads on the tank make the bubbles swirl around like natural surges. So the power heads are the waves and you just adding the bubbles.

10. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

11. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

Also rick if the sps are full from getting to much food why instead of adding a skimmer just feed less. I discovered in my last tank that doing all this this feeding was a waste of money fish will eat even if they are not hungry and feeding once a day does enough for your fish and so does for your corals you see fish poop does wonders on sps so as long as you keep your fish pooping your sps would be fine. My old 135 I ran a skimmer pellets and an l2 scrubber on my last set up and yes it was an sps tank but I had to feed tons of food to keep it stable due to not having enought nutrients and constally had to siphon out food out of the sump which was uneaten pellets and frozen to me was a hudge waste of money so my belive now is I'm going to feed just enough to keep my fish healthy and that in the end will take care of it I also went with an over size scrubber and will be using carbon and purigen I went with a 4 cube scrubber but only feeding at the most 1 cube a day or half. For the scrubber guys that I seen the most susses-full ones have been the guys with hudge scrubbers

12. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

13. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

I've had no skimmer,GFO, waterchanges or GAC for over a year, and the water has never been so clear. It seems that the sugars produced by algae actually turbo charge the bacterial population into degrading the waterborne organics extremely fast. There are studies around which have tested the dissolved organic compounds around large algal beds and the results showed a lower content than normal reefs.

14. Turbo

Just after a quick skim it looks like on the RC thread people who are running skimmerless but no scrubber are still stirring up detritus and doing PWCs, at least one guy is. Per Garf above the scrubber in the mix could mean something different

15. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

Well water changes should be a most when keeping sps I don't see why would you skip on water changes

16. Ricky

Ricky Member Trusted Member Multiple Units! Customer

I don't do any water changes, and haven't found a reason to do so. Keep my Alkalinity and Ca in check along with low nutrients.

Even after Sandy I let everything go back to normal on it's own. 100% SPS tank, No water change.

17. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

How do you replenish other traced elements. What do you use to dose alk,ca and mag

18. Garf

Garf Member Trusted Member

19. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer

20. iiluisii

iiluisii Member Customer