1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Tank and L3 Algae Scrubber Journey

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by Redfish, Feb 2, 2013.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Redfish

Redfish Member Customer

Cleaned my screen yesterday lightly and the screen trough, put it back in. The screen is pretty much the same as it has been, seems to be getting a bit thinker brownish growth on it, not really any green though.

2. Redfish

Redfish Member Customer

Bud, I keep meaning to post this but I keep forgetting :( Your Scrubbers to me are pretty much perfect but there is one suggestion that I would make that would make my life easier, if I am thinking this I am sure others are to. The wire coming out of the Scrubber from the LED's on either side of the Scrubber, it comes up to a fitting, then that fitting connects to the other side of the fitting where that wire runs to the LED transformer, wire comes out of the transformer to the outlet plug. I would like to see the wire coming out of the Scrubber to that first fitting longer by at least a foot. I need to get that wire up and mounted out of the way of the Scrubber so that I can hide the wires running to the transformer. Its hard to do with the short wire coming out of the Scrubber to that first fitting. I am guessing I can splice those wires to make them longer but just don't want to do that at this time and take a chance of messing up my Scrubber. Now about my Scrubber, I am wondering if I shouldn't turn off one side of the LED's on my Scrubber, I am not in any hurry, don't get me wrong here :) But I am not getting any green growth, I started the Scrubber on the 18th of March I feed two cubes per day, I am thinking that's not enough for the L3 Scrubber. I bought a bigger Scrubber than what I really need at this time. I start growing SPS corals and maybe feeding the tank corals I will need the bigger Scrubber. I don't know, what do you think?

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

You may not get green growth for a few weeks yet, I would just leave it as it. If you have the ability to put each fixture on a separate timer, you might run each on for 5 hours back to back, so you would have 10 hours total light time, but only one side at a time. Just thinking of options - haven't actually tried it. But I would not unplug one fixture and make it a single sided screen.

As for the lead extensions, I can just send you a set of longer wires with the connectors on them. The tool to install them is $90 so just sending you extra connectors and wires won't work. You would have to take one of the end caps off the fixture and slide out the acrylic shield, then take the terminal block off, remove the wires from the terminal block, feed the new wires through the gromment, then reconnect and reassemble everything. You would only need a few screwdrivers, it's really pretty simple, might take you 20-30 minutes to do both fixtures.

I'll make sure the wires I ship you are plenty long.

4. Redfish

Redfish Member Customer

Its not that big of a deal, I can make do. Its just something I think others would like if they had a choice :)