1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with turbo L2 algae growth

Discussion in 'Customer Support' started by Timmydatoolman, Apr 19, 2020.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Timmydatoolman

Timmydatoolman New Member

Hi, I purchased an L2 scrubber from another club member. I have set it up per the instructions on Turbo Aquatics web site. About a month in and this is my second cleaning and there was thick growth, but the hair was black and covered in red slime. I am running the lights at about 50% and they are on for 19hrs. I am guessing I need to turn the photo period down, but thought I would reach out for an expert opinion before I start changing things.
    Thanks

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

If you're getting GHA with some slime forming a sort of "coating" over the GHA, that is a phase that sometimes occurs. Not really sure why, but it seems to pass, though it may persist for a while (months)

If it is like what I described, it's not a major concern. It does stink when you shut the water flow off, but otherwise, light passes through it as it is super fine.

You can also remove the screen a few times/week and rinse it off, leaving all the GHA behind. You may need to swipe your palm across the top or run ti gently with fingertips, but that slime should come off easily.

Also, it might look "black" under the red LED lights, but if you shine a white flashlight on it, it might look more brownish/red.

As always, pics are the best. Flash pics if possible. You can also take non-flash pics while using a flashlight, that allows you to control reflection and focus better (pro tip lol)

3. Timmydatoolman

Timmydatoolman New Member

Thanks for the reply. Here is this weeks growth, less red but still some there. Do I need to worry about? 41E2A98F-73A4-4CEB-80DE-5DBE8B490F6B.jpeg FF3879AA-DA25-45A4-83F1-4FB7C6D1E3E3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2020
  4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

yes, that's similar to what I was talking about, and not a big concern. I would not worry about that, that type of growth should rinse away easily under running water and fingertips, but you can also try to "drag" the scraper across it lightly (vs "chiseling").