1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tank Profile New 55 Gallon Tank (with L2 scrubber)

Discussion in 'General Aquarium Discussion' started by ddalgleish, Jun 19, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. ddalgleish

ddalgleish Member Customer

Texas
    I transfered all of my critters from a 40 gallon setup to a new 55 gallon tank. Lesson learned (after) was that it is difficult to fit anything under a 55 gallon tank. Therefore, I resorted to three 5 gallon buckets as a sump :)

The L2 arrived yesterday and I just installed the unit a few hours ago. Here are some pictures of my tank, the setup and the L2 itself.

The sump. Left bucket is where water drains and where water is pumped into the L2 scrubber. You can't really see it but I have 4-5 mangroves growing in the left bucket as well...but just for fun not for filtration. Left bucket is also directly connected to the second bucket. The second bucket has activated carbon and is where the L2 scrubber drains (as well as the emergency drain). This bucket connects directly to the right bucket which has my return pump, my auto top off (white bucket on top) and my heater. Very crowded but I had no choice.
    IMG_0609 (Large).JPG

A closer view of that beautiful L2 scrubber ;)
    IMG_0611 (Large).JPG

The screen freshly started up.
    IMG_0612 (Large).JPG

The display!
    IMG_0614 (Large).JPG

Turbo likes this.
  2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

5g buckets are good for all kinds of things, aren't they?

ddalgleish likes this.
  3. ddalgleish

Texas
    Yes they are. As long as you have good gaskets ;)

4. ddalgleish

Texas
    Update of the screen a week in. Looking really good I think! :)

IMG_0630 (Large).JPG

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Interesting. That's great for 1 week in. This supports my theory that tanks that have been running a scrubber, then you either add a different scrubber or change the screen to a brand new one, they mature very fast. This is not the only time I've seen this.

I sent a replacement screen to one my customers and he tossed the old one, and the new screen ramped up really fast.

I sent an L4 to someone who has ran scrubbers for a while, that one matured very quickly.

It seems that there might be a phase where the tank gets conditioned or accustomed to a scrubber. This could explain slow starting scrubbers added to tanks that have never ran one. I can't think of another logical explanation.

6. ddalgleish

Texas
    It is true that my original algae scrubber did take a good while to come online.

7. ddalgleish

Texas
    Here is an update from July 2nd (2 weeks in). I cleaned the screen at this point. Running half power 12 hours a day since my timer also goes to lights which illuminate my mangroves.

Attached Files:

8. ddalgleish

Texas
    And here is an update from July 17th (~ 4 weeks in)

I cut back on photo period to 9 hours after I scraped this week because the growth was so pale. It seems to be growing in nice and dark now so we will see.

Attached Files:

9. Turbo

What dimming level are you set at? i.e. what clock position is it set at?

10. ddalgleish

Texas
    I have it at 6 o'clock. So about 50%.

11. Turbo

Maybe go to 7 o'clock and longer hours

12. ddalgleish

Texas
    I haven't been taking pictures of my scrubber when I've cleaned it through the month of August. I was in the Netherlands for the last two weeks of August so the last time before today that I had cleaned the scrubber was the week of 10th-14th.

When I got back I knew I was going to have a lot of growth but I didn't think I would have this much! This is essentially 4 weeks of growth. I pulled out about the equivalent of almost a baseball of algae from the system!

IMG_0902_web.jpg IMG_0904_web.jpg IMG_0906_web.jpg

Turbo likes this.
  13. ddalgleish

Texas
    Well it has been a long while since I have updated anyone on my tank. Fortunately, the scrubber did more than an amazing job keeping my tank clean. I managed to keep a TON of pods in my tank which kept my mandarin very happy and healthy. Unfortunately, I was put in a position where I needed to leave my apartment immediately and there was nowhere to put any of my critters in the meantime. So the whole setup is broken down and stowed away in storage. All of the critters are in a safe home. I do plan on bringing the system back online at the end of this year when my living situation is more stable.

So long story short, the L2 scrubber I used totally kicked butt!

14. Turbo

Sad, but not sad. All at the same time. We'll see you on the flipside @ddalgleish!!