1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Algae Scrubber newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lovefish77, Apr 17, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I think either of those would be a huge improvement. In fact I just ordered two of the CF Grow ones, that looks like a new form factor so I'm interested to see how it performs over the more common one that has circulated over the last couple years.

2. lovefish77

lovefish77 Member Trusted Member

ok will order the 100w then as it has an ac plug. will keep you posted

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Not sure what you mean?

I noticed on the 2nd link, that one had a external power supply, but on the first link, they didn't show anything for the 100W one. For the 200W one, they show a single AC plug and a splitter with power going directly into the fixture. That tells me that the first one might have an integrated power supply, while the second is external...china fixtures most likely, so it's a roll of the dice, but for $35 that's not a huge gamble (especially if it works)

4. lovefish77

I confirmed by asking on amazon and they said the one i ordered has an ac plug. So will keep you posted. thanks :)

5. lovefish77

6. lovefish77

i am afraid one of the screens will dry out coz of the low flow, what do you think turbo?

7. lovefish77

I am honestlyundecided between the DCP 4000 or DCP 5000, inclined to 5000 but afraid it may be a tad strong. They say it can be ramped starting from 30% power. Let me know please :)

8. Turbo

Photosaturation is a concern with low flow, but if it's REALLY low, then you might end up with some sections drying out!

9. Turbo

10. lovefish77

- yes dedicated for the scrubber at lowest setting. Honestly i am also looking for it as a backup to my return as well (running 400 waveline as return). just afraid jebao 4000 or 5000 will be too strong :)
    - another option was just looking at is rio pump 1700 for $35. at 1 foot of head and like 2 elbows i should be getting like 580-600 gph. i think that should be ok for total 21" of screen length (for the two screens). How is the noise level on the rio pumps?

11. Turbo

For the Rio pumps, a good estimate is to add 24" to the vertical head you have and then put that on the curve.

So if you have 12" vertical head, use the 36" point (1 meter) on the curve as your reference. The Rio 1700 would likely be good for one screen, but if you wanted to spread that across 2 screens, it might fall short. But that goes back to what I was saying about using only one screen and light it from both sides, you need 1/2 of the flow in that scenario compared to the dual-screen scenario you are running now.

12. lovefish77

the 1700 at 3ft (12") gives out 442gph. so given the two screen have 21" of length, flow is 442gph/21"=21gph/inch. it looks ok'ish given the new rule of thumb of 25gph per inch you stated.
    If i move to rio 2100, the 442gph number goes up to 472gph (at the same 3ft/12"), so it does not look that different to "me"

13. lovefish77

Can i use the rio 1700 or 2100 with 1/2" ID Vinyl tubing (my plumbing for scrubber is designed for 1/2")? checking and it says only used with 3/4" !!

14. Turbo

Hmmm I stand corrected, it might be adequate, guess I need to check my numbers first! :eek:

No, you would definitely need to use 3/4" ID tubing, going to 1/2" ID tubing will drastically increase the head loss.

15. lovefish77

16. Turbo

I'm confused a bit about what you're describing - is your slot pipe 1/2? that is, are you planning to connect the pump to a threaded PVC connection that you already have for your current slot pipe?

17. lovefish77

The horizontal pipe with slot for the screen is .75 inches, the connection to the pump is vinyl .5 inches id. Only point of attachment to pump is .5 inches rest of scrubber plumbing is .75 inches

Turbo likes this.
  18. lovefish77

Just tested nitrates and are still at 40ppm. So frustrated and don't know what to do. Thinking ripping and cleaning the whole sump.

19. Turbo

Go to one screen with those new lights. That's what I'd do.

20. lovefish77