1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Algae Scrubber newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lovefish77, Apr 17, 2017.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Hi Turbo, thanks for the detailed write up and thoughts, i have never heard of that concept for corals, interesting. Came back home, took some tests:

- Phosphate hanna ultra low checker, 0.003!!!! don't know how
    - Nitrates zero on API.

very surprising results given the algae film i am seeing on the rocks on the display tank to be honest!!!

2. Algae is till on the rocks even though N&P are reading almost zero, any tricks to get it off the rocks? I changed the light to reef breeders and maybe that is making the algae stick more to the rocks due to higher intensity? any tricks and thoughts welcome.

thanks

3. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Any change is going to cause some kind of disruption in the overall balance. Lighting is a big one, because all lights are different - spectrum/blend, intensity, dimming ability, etc. So that is a hard one to troubleshoot.

I am of the general opinion that you should do everything you can to avoid chasing issues, that usually makes things worse. So where one person might say to remove your rocks and scrub them off or flip them over, etc, I would say don't do that because that further disrupts things and then if problems continue, you won't know where you stand on stability

Do what you can to remove algae if it's affecting expensive things negatively (like corals) but if it's not and it's just unsightly to you, leave it be for as long as you can stand it!

4. Hi Turbo, thanks for replying. No not hurting me in anyway, some corals died because i was trying to raise alk. But the algae is like an eye sore that is all, and actually first time i see algae in display after i installed the mammoth scrubber :) I know the new reefbreeder light contributed to it ..maybe.. I dont want to take the rocks out, they have a thin layer of black sponge on them so def not pulling them out. I heard about adding few drops of hydrogen peroxide to the tank lol. Dont know if that is dangerous or not. In the meantime i reduced feeding and increase photo period on scurbber to like 16-17 hours. So i will take your advise for it and leave things as it.
    Btw, i just installed a pilot project to do auto water changes (like 1000ml daily) and will see how things go. I am using a dosing pump to do that .... stay tuned.

5. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

From what I've read, the H2O2 solution is direct application to the algae, rather than a "dosing" type of thing (like Alk or Cal, etc). But that is a technique that I have only glanced at, I can't advise on the method with any level of knowledge